First All-Grain Attempt - How Will This Turn Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHandle

Reaction score
This will be my first non-kit attempt. I plugged this grain bill into the calculator to get the following numbers:

5# Golden Promise (50% of total grist)
2# Gambrinus Honey Malt (20%)
1.5# Biscuit Malt (15%)
1# Munich 10L (10%)
0.5# Golden Naked Oats (5%)
3# Light Brown Sugar
3# Molasses

WLP011 - European Ale Yeast

152-degrees for 75 min

1.5 oz Saaz for 60 min
0.5 oz Whitbread Golding for 35 min

OG = 1.087
FG = 1.028
ABV = 8.4%
IBU = 29

I like my beer malty, bready, sweet, with just enough subtle hops to balance. How is this going to turn out? Any suggestions? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think Golden Promise and Munich are great base malts for the flavors you want. 35% specialty malts is a lot. Most beers will have 20% or less specialty malts. Honey malt will give you sweetness, but 2 lbs might be too much. You might want to consider cutting some of the biscuit malt, too.

3 lbs of sugar is a ton. It may actually have the opposite effect on the beer than what you want, by drying it out. Most beers have 10% or less sucrose.

3 lbs of molasses is also a lot. If you've never had molasses in a beer, you might find the taste to be strange. I don't care for very much of it, 1 lbs or less is all I can handle.

+1, you got way too much of a few things in there. I wouldn't go over 1lb with the honey malt, biscuit, or molasses and thats pretty heavy for those, I'd actually cut all 3 to 0.5lb. The brown sugar would probably be ok at that level, but its gunna dry out the beer, and thats a really high amount, I don't think I'd go over 1lb along with the other stuff.

Back