Honey Bonde recipe(semi-Braggot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onemanlan

Reaction score
So I had a Austin Home Brew Texas Blonde mini-mash kit as my last recipe lined up before I have to re-order. This will be my 6th brewing batch so I'm feeling seasoned. With that being said I have had the time to read all over these forums. One thing that interested me was the Mead forums. I've really wanted to try one, but I didn't have the proper items to do so nor do I want to fork out the money to go in that direction. So I started reading about Braggots - which lead me to try to develop a recipe incorporating the ingredients on hand and ingredients obtainable on a local level. So I started using the brewing calculators and came up with this bastard creation of a beast. Most of the stuff involved was stuff I had laying around or from a previous project.

I call it Frankenblonde! That is assuming it comes out to something reasonable.

Type: Partial Mash
Mash temp: 145*F
Sparge temp: 160*F
Total Volume: 5 Gallons US
Yeast: Pacman from a cake
Estimated OG from Beer Calculus = 1.108 - 1.114
Estimated %Alch/Vol = 10.9%
Actual OG = 1.116
Estimated FG = 1.024 - 1.029
1* Fermentation: 2.5 weeks
2* Fermentation: 2 weeks
Age in bulk

6 Lbs Clover Honey
3.5 Lb 2-row malt
1 Lb Vienna malt
2 Lbs Extra Light DME
1 Lb Corn Sugar
0.8 Lb Brewvint Maltose/Dextrose

0.5 oz Brewers Gold Pellets @ t = 60min
0.5 oz Brewers Gold Pellets @ t = 5 min

From what I've read it can be stopped depending on how sweet you want the final product due to the slow fermentation of the honey. I am not sure if the grains will provide enough of the added nutrients to enable the yeast to ferment the honey without me having to add yeast nutrients. I currently lack the nutrients so thats why I was hoping the large amount of nutrients coming from the grain would carry fermentation all the way through.

I put this in my 5 gal glass Carboy and less than 12 hours later the vigorous fermentation blew off my airlock! Luckily I caught it in the act. My fix is a blow-off tube into a water container. Watching this thing ferment is the most relaxing and mesmerizing thing I've ever seen.

Im looking for thoughts and advise on this matter.

Back