Lagering in a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be wise to drain the crap off of the bottom of the conical when lagering? When I've done ales in the past I usually drain off a little crap each day so that my beer isn't sitting on dead yeast and other trub. This seemed to work fine but with a lager I'm worried that I'll be sucking out good yeast since lager yeast settles at the bottom. Anyone with experience on this want to join in?

I would just get rid of the trub after the primary fermentation, which you probably already do. That is not long enough for any dead yeast to hurt the brew and like you said, you don't want to get rid of any active yeast (well, as little as possible). The thing to keep in mind is that yes, the dead yeast tends to settle to the bottom but due to the relatively large volume of CO2 to yeast volume being produced, the living and dead yeasts will be sort of mixed up as the gas acts as a sort of mixer.

I'm reviving this thread in effort to gain insight on processes that those with conicals use during the fermentation\maturation process. Are you using the conical as the lagering vessel or moving to kegs? Any other info would be great; I'm doing my first lager (pilsner) this weekend and any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Back