Grassy smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
I'm new to hop growing and I thought I read that if your hops have a grassy smell you picked them too early. Mine didn't smell like grass until I put them in the dehydrator (at 95). When I put my nose right down there it does have a bit of a grassy smell. Are they still usable??

Grassy beer is still beer. Brew with them and find out! I definately will not tell you to throw them out, and I doubt anyone here will.

Was your harvest time in-line with others in your region? Have you grown and/or made beer with homegrown hops before? Every person is different, what smells bad to you may be great to others. I made a beer last year with hops from a local grower. It wasn't very good to me so I gave most of the batch to him. He loved it. I won't let a single healthy cone that I've worked so hard to grow go to waste until I have enough experience to find out which varieties grown here work well in finished beer. YMMV

I'm new to growing hops, but from what every thing I've read was telling me it was time. The lupulin was heavy, they smelled very hoppy the color had turned brown and they were feeling papery. So I figured it was time.

Latest posts

Back