Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
I've been drinking mass quantities of this stuff since I first saw it a few months ago.. Anyone have a recipe or try formulating one?

Hops... lots of hops!

Love the stuff myself, but haven't tried brewing it. I would say that you'd want to base it on a SNPA recipe, and adjust the hops and malt from there.

Always refer to the actual information when making a clone recipe.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Saw Citra hops available somewhere online a month or two ago when I was trying to find some other hops, so if you look around enough maybe you can find them. Can't remember where. And Crystal hops, yet again, is one of the truly great hops out there.

Love that beer. But I personally love Victory's Hop Wallop even better. Try that if you get a chance. Me? I won't get the chance again until back in the States, which means not for at least a year. Wah!

Inside Info: The next BYO will have some information about the Torpedo IPA. Interview with the brewer, and some tips on dry hopping. I do not know if they will have a clone recipe included, but something to read up if you are a fan of Torpedo IPA.

Ed

Saw Citra hops available somewhere online a month or two ago when I was trying to find some other hops, so if you look around enough maybe you can find them. Can't remember where. And Crystal hops, yet again, is one of the truly great hops out there.

Love that beer. But I personally love Victory's Hop Wallop even better. Try that if you get a chance. Me? I won't get the chance again until back in the States, which means not for at least a year. Wah!

Love hop wallop also, but theres something about torpedo...i'll trade you a sixer of HW for something local to you!

Love hop wallop also, but theres something about torpedo...i'll trade you a sixer of HW for something local to you!

Can't mail alcohol to or from here, sorry. Would love to, of course. I'd send you some Czech beer or something. But when you go to the post office here, they actually open your package right in front of you and inspect it.

Thanks for the thought though!

Following that advice and using Beersmith and assuming I can't find Citra hops, this is what I came up with.... will it work? Is it enough dry hopping?

Sierra Nevada Torpedo
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/8/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak
Boil Size: 7.18 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
210.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 96.33 %
4.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1.83 %
4.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.83 %
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.65 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 71.5 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.39 %
Bitterness: 71.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.8 SRM

I think your Crystal malt is too low and you have no late additions at all.

I added a small amount of Amarillo instead of Citra, though have NO idea if they taste the same. Figure they're both citrusy.

I would refer to this SNPA recipe, which was supposedly based off of information straight from the brewer:

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - SNPA Cloning made very simple...

Shows Crystal malt at 8% of the grist. I'd use that basic recipe, and step it up. I stepped that Crystal down to 6.67% myself, for a pound.

Now, I wouldn't say mine is correct or anything of the sort. But figured I'd throw it out there. Never brewed it, so can't say. Main thing, though, is that I'd say to step that Crystal up a bit and add some late hops.

Using BeerSmith, I did this for my system:

Type: All Grain

Batch Size: 6.00 gal

Boil Size: 7.23 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: RIMS and 10 gallon boiler
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

14.00 lb Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 93.33 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %

Hops, all pellets:

1.15 oz Magnum [15.10 %] (60 min) Hops 62.1 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum-Yakima [14.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
1.50 oz Crystal [4.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.75 oz Magnum-Yakima [14.20 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

1.00 oz Crystal [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Magnum-Yakima [14.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.87 %
Bitterness: 70.4 IBU
Est Color: 10.4 SRM

Mash Profile

60 min Step - 153.0 F
5 min Step - 168.0 F

Wyeast 1056.

A while back I brewed Edworts BCB IPA and used 1.5oz magnum as FWH and cascade as the rest and it came out with a TON of magnum flavor.It reminds me of what SNPA and Torpedo would taste like if blended.

A while back I brewed Edworts BCB IPA and used 1.5oz magnum as FWH and cascade as the rest and it came out with a TON of magnum flavor.It reminds me of what SNPA and Torpedo would taste like if blended.

Magnum has a lot of oil. Total oil is 1.9 - 2.3 mls/100 grams while Cascade is .8 - 1.5. It's bound to have a lot of aroma.

Crystal has 1.0 - 1.5, BTW.

I looked at this recipe too but havent made it.

Grain bill is almost the same (6gal;60boil, Mash 150°F):
14# 2-Row
1# C-40
1# Carapils

Hops:
1.0 oz Magnum (13.5%) [60] {47.3 IBU}
1.0 oz Crystal (3.1%) [30] {5.5 IBU}
0.5 oz Magnum (13.5%) [30] {12.1 IBU}
1.0 oz Crystal (3.1%) [Flameout; Whirlpool 15] {1.8 IBU}
0.5 oz Magnum (13.5%) [Flameout; Whirlpool 15] {3.9 IBU}
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) [DryHop; 6 days]
0.5 oz Crystal (3.1%) [DryHop; 6 days]
0.5 oz Magnum (13.5%)[DryHop; 6 days]

Its 70.7 IBU

I've tasted some Torpedos, it's a very nice beer. I don't know about calling it an "IPA" though, it tastes more like an APA to me.
I detect a hint of chocolate malt (1 oz. or less), crystal, vienna malt, possibly some munich or carapils, and 2-raw.
Unfortunately the Sierra Nevada website is down, so I can't get any info from the site, but I would guess OG to be at ~1.070, IBU~65, SRM~6?

My first attempt to brew this (if I had the Citra hops) would be:
11 lbs 2-raw
1 lb crystal
2 lb vienna
8 oz. carapils
1 oz. chocolate malt

I don't know what IBU Citra has, but I would first try to hop it with 100% Citra with the schedule similar to the SN Pale Ale hopping schedule (including ~0.75oz. dry hop) and see what I get from that.

Anyways, I definitely will try to clone it, but first I want to wait for Citra hops to show up in the HB stores :)

From their site:

alcohol content 7.2% by volume
yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.8 Plato
ending gravity 4.6 Plato

bittering hops Magnum
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra

bitterness units 70

malts Two-row Pale, & Crystal

And that clone recipe is below! (Assuming 75% eff)

5 gal/all-grain
OG = 1.070, FG = 1.018
IBU = 70, SRM = 11, ABV = 7.2%

Ingredients
14 lbs pale malt
11 oz caramel/crystal malt (60L)
17 AAU Magnum hops (60 min) (1.2 oz/34g of 14%AA)
1.0 oz Magnum Hops (5 mins)
1.0 oz Crystal hops (5 mins)
0.67 oz Magnum hops (dry hop)
0.67 oz Crystal hops (dry hop)
0.67 oz Citra hops (dry hop)

Wyeast 1056, WLP001, or US-05 yeast

Mash at 152F, boil for 90 minutes, ferment at 68F, dry hop 10 days - 2 weeks.

Back