What beers have you poured out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
I have what has often been referred to as a "cast iron stomach." If it's beer, or fairly close, I can drink it. No matter how terrible, skunky, or flavorless a beer is, I simply refuse to pour it out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy BMC anymore unless funds are really tight. If I'm at a party, a bar, or other social event where BMC is all that's available, I'll drink it without complaint. I try not to be a beer snob, so I just think of it as "getting back to my roots."

The one and only time I've refused to drink beer was "B to the E," Budwiesers attempt at an energy beer. A friend of mine used to swear by this stuff. "Drink a few before you go out," he'd say, "it tastes great, and it'll keep you up all night!"

Wrong on both counts. Seriously, take a large glass. Pour in about 4 ounces of Bud, and add in an entire can of Redbull. Then, with bucket, toilet, sink, or other vomit receptacle nearby, drink it. This truly is a beer for the masochist. I bought a 4-pack of cans (16 oz each, I believe) and poured out three and a half of them. I just could not force myself to drink it, no matter how hard I tried.

So, have you ever found beers that you simply cannot bring yourself to drink? Was it a homebrew that turned out terrible, or store-bought? Tell your horror stories here.

:mug:

That Miller Ultra Pomegranite stuff.

Nope. Couldn't do it.

As for homebrew, I have only poured it out cause I got bored with it after drinking tons of it only to realize I still had like 3 gallons left. :cross:

Michelob Celebrate it was a vanilla bourbon ale and I am a sucker for the flavor combination so I decided to check it out despite better judgment...man was it a mistake. One sip and it was trashed.

Besides wounded soldiers, I think the only thing I've ever dumped is this Dortmunder I ordered at a bar in Roscoe Village. Tasted like the keg hadn't been changed since the eighties... and this was after already drinking for a good 4 hours before hand.

The famous Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale recipe floating around. It tasted like vanilla cream soda with beer added. Kind of like a beer ice cream float. I couldn't get it down.

My best friend, though, loved it and she and her husband drank two cases of it.

Bud American Ale.

And a Brown Ale I did that had a funky cheese flavor going on.

Thats all I have thrown out in the last few years.

<edit> I just remembered, I dumped nearly a whole can of 'Pigs Eye Pilsner' a Minneapolis brew. Makes me gag just recalling that can.

Caramel Cream Ale. Dumped

Descheutes- The Dissident. Not my style, I might have finished it had I shared it with someone.

New Holland Dragons Milk (Lots of people like this beer, so either it's not my thing, or I had a bad bottle).

Ommengang Chocolate Indulgence. Most bitter metallic beer I've ever had. Waste of $12.

I got a lot of metallic taste out of the Chocolate Indulgence too.

I think my heart would stop if I saw someone dumping out Dissident. I would probably do one of those slow motion, "Nooooooooooooo!!!!" jumps to save it, too.

I made a rosemary wit almost 2 years ago. It still sits in my closet. I haven't had the heart to kill it yet, but it might be time. As for beer from commercial breweries... I don't really dump anything out, but I am smart about getting what I know I'll like or getting tastes before I get a full pint or whatever. The bottles I take home end up sitting for a long time in my closet and I am usually fully aware of what I am getting into.

I think my heart would stop if I saw someone dumping out Dissident. I would probably do one of those slow motion, "Nooooooooooooo!!!!" jumps to save it, too.

I felt the same way and believe me I drank as much as I could. As opposed to actual bad beers I've had, the Dissident wasn't bad, just not something I could handle and I didn't have a sour beer loving neighbor to give the rest to.

I am usually not a very fussy cat when it comes to beer, i can usually drink most brands without complaining, although i far prefer micro, and home brewed.

Two commercial beer i dislike, i can drink it but its probably the worst i came across, and i have tried many...
"Carling Black Label" and "Milwaukee's best" are the ones i could frown upon.

Today is not a good day for Aretha Franklin hiding behind a stack of brownie bites.
Aretha would not hide behind a stack of brownies. Those things wouldn't stand a chance of survival if she were around.

Having thought about it, the last beer I poured out was Sam's Cranberry Lambic. God awful.

Flemish Wild Ale- i forget what brand but they had several similar beers, maybe with a 'van' in the name?

thought it would be a flemish sour red or oud bruin- instead has NO sour characteristics, just pure rotten flavors from godknowswhat microbes in it- NOTHING LIKE A FLEMISH RED- not a good experience- its what i would imagine the juice that leaks out of a compost pile might taste like

lambics, flemish reds, berliner weiss, even old ales and barleywines with brett are amongst my favorite beers, but this beer was DISGUSTING

also hated Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale, which is similar to what i am speaking of, but not nearly as awful

also, i just poured out about six gallons of crappy homebrews- after six months of me not touching them i decided it was time to free up the bottles and move on with my beer-life

harpoon IPA seems to have more of an english-style aroma and bitterness that put me off at first, possibly because i was just so used to american-style ipas

Any beer that I don't like the taste of. Including a lot of my own experimental batches. If I don't like it, why do I want to keep it around. There is likely another beer waiting to be kegged anyways.

I generally don't drink just to get drunk so why waste my liver on something that tastes like ass?

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic
Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale

Not sure if it was the clove or what, but I've had the Pumpkin Ale before and it was OK. Not great, but passable. This last October I had some again, and it was utterly undrinkable. Had to dump it.

I find that I am more apt to dump a commercial beer that I don't like, now that I have 20 gallons of damn good homebrew on tap in the garage! :rockin:

I, unfortunately, can't drink BMC (most of em give me a headache after one beer) so I just leave them.

As far as pour outs...I have drank lots of B to the E, sparks etc... and can stomach that, but I am pretty sure the rogue dead guy in my closet has gone bad. It is really really crappy. I tried to drink it ice cold the other night thinking maybe it would dull the bad flavor and I still couldn't do it.

Leinenkugel's sunset wheat... tried drinking it multiple times but always end up pouring it out. I would rather drink a BMC than drink this ****.

Lastly, there is the batch of Gruit ale I made.... yarrow does not belong in beer. Yuk.

Leinenkugel's sunset wheat... tried drinking it multiple times but always end up pouring it out. I would rather drink a BMC than drink this ****.

Lastly, there is the batch of Gruit ale I made.... yarrow does not belong in beer. Yuk.

I had sunset wheat, didnt like the bluberry flavor, but it was for swmbo anyway.

I cant seem to down any triple. I just had lagunitas frank zappa seasonal triple and I couldn't finish the whole thing, also dumped maredsous triple.

I've dumped a couple commercial IPAs that tasted like rotting fish.

In college, my roommate and I had to throw out most of an 18-pack of Icehouse that tasted and smelled like rotten fish. F***ing nasty!! I never have been able to drink that crap again.... I've also poured out Miller Chill... it was just so bad. It tasted like it hadn't finished fementing. And I couldn't finish the Bud Light/Clamato thing that my buddy gave me. That was my only run-in with "red beer" and it turned me off from daring to try it again. If I want tomato, I'll stick with bloody marys.

The only homebrew that I've dumped was my one and only attempt at a lager. The primary went fine, but the lagering developed an infection. Week after week went by and it got cloudier and cloudier. It tasted kind of sour, but I went through the pain of bottling it. One week later I was dumping a bunch of gushers down the drain. If I had waited much longer, I think I would have had some bottle bombs... I'm still pissed about that batch... :mad:

Two Head brought to mine two more I had forgotten about.

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic- That was so bad, I had blocked it from my mind. (BTW for any Cranberry Lambic lovers, I've got three bottles left. Anyone?????

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale- Yuck. Don't market yourself as a pumpkin beer if your just going to toss some pie spices in the bottle, carbonate the piss out of it and call it beer. I actually found someone to take the remaining bottles.

I say this at every opportunity, and surprisingly few people have disagreed with me. DFH120. I am a certified hophead (drinking Bell's Hop Slam as we speak), but that beer might be the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. As I've noted before, "It's like eating the dirt under a pine tree." And not in a good way.

The guy at the local Cap 'n Cork talked me into buying a 4-pack of Horse Piss Beer. I figured, with a name like Horse Piss, how bad could it be?

Three of them went down the drain. By the way, Horse Piss Beer logs in at 3 Percentile on Ratebeer.

The guy at the local Can 'n Cork talked me into buying a 4-pack of Horse Piss Beer. I figured, with a name like Horse Piss, how bad could it be?

Three of them went down the drain. By the way, Horse Piss Beer logs in at 3 Percentile on Ratebeer.

Oh, yeah! That reminds me of a beer a friend brought me from western Wisconsin. "Flopping Crappie" beer. Awesome can, awesome name. Beer is so nasty that I couldn't choke down more than one sip.

The rest of the cans (5 of them) now decorate our cottage.

"Wild Blue" blueberry ale. This **** was actually BLUE! I mean it was a deep, dark blue. It would have been good if it was marketed as blueberry juice. Disgusting. End of discussion.

Alba Scots Pine Ale! It had to be infected, it was straight vinegar. Three of us tried it and every person spit it across the room!! Smelled like straight vinegar also!

Caramel Cream Ale. Dumped

Descheutes- The Dissident. Not my style, I might have finished it had I shared it with someone.

New Holland Dragons Milk (Lots of people like this beer, so either it's not my thing, or I had a bad bottle).

Ommengang Chocolate Indulgence. Most bitter metallic beer I've ever had. Waste of $12.

I am sorry trashing The Dissident should be a crime!!!

Budweiser American Ale, i can't stand it, it is absolutely horrible to me. Me and a friend got a 6 pack and each attempted to drink one. We each poured it out and dumped the other 4 and i kept the bottles for my homebrew. Just awful stuff!!

A friend left one in my fridge 3 months ago and it is still there and beer in the fridge never lasts 3 days let alone 3 months.

Sam Adams Irish Red:
A friend said this stuff was great, that I should buy as much as I can it's so good. LIAR!!! I gave away 6 and dumped 2 that I had poured into the big boy glass(1/2 yard). Awful.

Latest posts

Back