Can I make a starter in a beer bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you didn't get any answers because we're not sure how to answer. First of all, the sanitation might be iffy. Secondly, I don't think many of us would use malta goya.

I would make my starter (I use DME and water) to an SG of 1.040 or so, put it in a sanitized glass jug, and dump my yeast in there. Then cover with foil. I think it would be a PITA to sanitize a funnel and pour a tiny bit of wort into a beer bottle.

i did similar. i poured the remnants of about 6-8 bottles, right after i opened them into a sterile measuring cup with a bit of boiled/cooled water, then poured all of the collected stuff into a sterilized juice container and stuck it in the fridge.
i think if the bottles have been open for a while, or (gasp) drank from directly, it is too risky.
fwiw, my ferment kicked right off from the starter i made out of that, and dropped from 1.058 to 1.018 in 2.5 days..

well I was just going to pour the beer into a glass to drink it then right after I pour it make the starter. I guess it wouldnt be a starter if I use the malta goya.. is it propogation. I want to use it for the next few brews i do

to clarify, i used yeast harvested from my own bottles... wlp001. the only alternative was a 5g pack of muntuns....i now have a good supply of starter. after my last runnings, i added another gallon to the tun while i was doing my boil, and drained that off into a sauce pan, and boiled it down to 1.038, divided it, and froze. now i can thaw it, and make a starter any time i want to. we will see if it actually works.

Back