3 Liter soda bottles with TAD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
For anyone who has a tap a draft mini keg system, do 3liter soda bottles work instead of the expensive 6liter bottles they sell with it?

I can get the 3liter bottles filled with soda for 89cents

I've been trying to use TAD with three liter bottles, with a little success, but I've had problems:

- sometimes when I first connect the CO2 cartridge, the pressure release valve opens and lets out most of the CO2. Maybe this is just working as designed, keeping the bottle from being over pressurized, but keep reading...
- once when I connected a cartridge, a part from the release valve blew out and went flying across the room. I never did find it. :(
- sometimes its hard to get a good seal when screwing the TAD onto the bottle. I've tried Teflon tape, and washers, with intermittent success.
- twice I've had a TAD crack while I was trying to screw it on.

My conclusions are that:
1. The TAD, being made for a 6 liter bottle, does not regulate pressure correctly with a 3 liter bottle. (I'm not an engineer so I don't know if this makes any logical sense, but maybe it's because there is just too much initial pressure with a 3-liter for the release valve to handle).
2. The threading is slightly different with the 3 liter bottles, and that's what is causing the sealing problems and the cracked TADs. (BTW I was able to fix the TADs with epoxy putty).

3. I am giving up trying to use 3 liter bottles with TAD :(

I've had some success with using 3 liter bottles with the Miller/Coors TAD. An initial problem I had was sealing the bottle during the initial carbonation (priming with corn sugar) with both the 3 liter caps and the polyseal caps (I put a balloon on top and it inflated, which suggested a leak). I ended up purchasing about 10 molded caps with o-rings directly from tapadraft.com. Using teflon tape and the molded caps, I was able to eliminate CO2 leakage during carbonation.

I have my TAD system set up to a paintball tank, so I can't speak regarding using CO2 cartridges. My system has worked well. Since it's only 3 liters, I can go through it in about a week, so I cannot comment on how long it will stay carbonated. I still prefer using the 6 liter (or 5.7 liters from Miller/Coors) TAD bottles, but I will usually fill one 3 liter bottle per 5 gallon batch.

jcdouglas said:
I've had some success with using 3 liter bottles with the Miller/Coors TAD. An initial problem I had was sealing the bottle during the initial carbonation (priming with corn sugar) with both the 3 liter caps and the polyseal caps (I put a balloon on top and it inflated, which suggested a leak). I ended up purchasing about 10 molded caps with o-rings directly from tapadraft.com. Using teflon tape and the molded caps, I was able to eliminate CO2 leakage during carbonation.

I have my TAD system set up to a paintball tank, so I can't speak regarding using CO2 cartridges. My system has worked well. Since it's only 3 liters, I can go through it in about a week, so I cannot comment on how long it will stay carbonated. I still prefer using the 6 liter (or 5.7 liters from Miller/Coors) TAD bottles, but I will usually fill one 3 liter bottle per 5 gallon batch.

How did you connect the tank to the TAD? Sounds like a good idea. How high do you set the pressure?

I've not had any issues using 3L bottles on my Miller/Coors Home Draft, but I fill from the keg and use mine like a growler most of the time.

How did you connect the tank to the TAD? Sounds like a good idea. How high do you set the pressure?

I purchased a regulator and a paintball adapter (http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shopping...er-%2d-Paintball-Tank-Regulator-Coupling.html), along with a TAD adapter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-gram-CO2...ultDomain_0&hash=item2314f835c9#ht_1712wt_361). There's a little upfront cost to getting everything together, but since I do not have the room for a full keg system, but wanted to reduce/eliminate the need for bottling, it works great for me.

I typically leave it at 5-10 psi without problems.

I was out today running some errands and saw a dollar store. I came out with 6 3L bottles of orange soda that will soon go down the drain. I have two of the the old style TAD taps and 12 6L TAD bottles. Are you guys having problems with the new taps or the old taps that use two 8g cartridges. BTW, I also have 24 Nitrogen cartridges that I will soon use in some stout.

Also remember that the TAD bottles are uv resistant, while the soda bottles are not, so be careful of leaving your full bottle out in the daytime or you're likely to end up with some skunky beer.

Also remember that the TAD bottles are uv resistant, while the soda bottles are not, so be careful of leaving your full bottle out in the daytime or you're likely to end up with some skunky beer.

I'll make sure I tell that little guy inside the fridge to keep the damn light off ;)

limulus said:
I was out today running some errands and saw a dollar store. I came out with 6 3L bottles of orange soda that will soon go down the drain. I have two of the the old style TAD taps and 12 6L TAD bottles. Are you guys having problems with the new taps or the old taps that use two 8g cartridges. BTW, I also have 24 Nitrogen cartridges that I will soon use in some stout.

It's the new TADs that I've had trouble with.

Back