New V3 Kettles from Spike? Anyone Have one yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pre-order 10g v3 came in last week. It's just like they describe, but nicer. The welds are perfect, and have been impeccably cleaned up, the damn thing is HEAVY with a feeling of quality, the silicone pads are all thick and stay in place, the etching is gorgeous… I've never seen a rival in quality outside a custom commercial setup.

My pre-order 10g v3 came in last week. It's just like they describe, but nicer. The welds are perfect, and have been impeccably cleaned up, the damn thing is HEAVY with a feeling of quality, the silicone pads are all thick and stay in place, the etching is gorgeous… I've never seen a rival in quality outside a custom commercial setup.

pics or gtfo! :D

What is the point of a pre-order that is supposed to ship before they are open to everyone? The lack of communication from this vendor has made this a purchase I regret.

What is the point of a pre-order that is supposed to ship before they are open to everyone? The lack of communication from this vendor has made this a purchase I regret.

Sorry about the poor experience! Most of the pre-orders have gone out. A few kettles with sight glasses are being delayed. However all pre-orders have first priority and will be shipped first.

-Tim

have you reached out to them? who knows how many hundreds of orders they are dealing with, it is somewhat unrealistic to expect a vendor to reach out to each and every customer with constant updates. i too have a kettle on order and have inquired on the status several times. i believe 20 hours was the longest it ever took them to get back to me, most times it was within a few hours. of course, i'm not in a big rush to get my kettle so i have patience on my side...

They have always been very responsive with me. Just shoot them an e-mail. I know the wait can suck, but honestly, Spike Puts out a really nice product. You won't be disappointed at all.

I guess I look at it in the pro column-- I like the fact that they're a small company, that I can write an email and be in touch with somebody who's actually involved with developing, making and using the product, and that I'm supporting a small business. Part of that means that they're dealing with the same sort of issues we all deal with in life, and not everything happens exactly as planned.

Must resist urge to use credit card on 3 new 30 gallon kettles! Hurry up tax return season!

kettle showed up today. these things are amazing!

IMG_1885%20Large_zpswvxqso9v.jpg

more details here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7280262

I want to get two 20 gallon pots and one false bottom. (Gonna keep one keggle as a hlt)
I normally do 10 gallon batches now, but sometimes do 5 gallon still.
How high up is the top vertical coupler on the 20 gallon??

Yes, I was impressed with the new V3 line from Spike. Pricing is a little confusing as it is kinda ala cart???

yes. none of the kettles come with valves or thermometers as standard. the kettles come in a few different 'flavors' (e.g. with or without sight glass, with or without a coupler for a thermometer, etc.). and they do custom as well if you want extra couplers, couplers in different positions/sizes, etc. you'll have to contact them about custom stuff and they can get you a price. they are very responsive.

Just ordered my new mash tun.

I got a 20 gal so I always have enough room mashing higher gravity 10 gallon brews.

Gonna keep using my boil keggle for now.

What would you guys recommend for a V3 boil kettle? Just get another 20 gallon with only a diptube? I don't know how to approach a whirlpool port, but that could be useful. Any help appreciated

I have a 20G Spike brewing kettle. whirlpool port is located just above the racking port and all I did was put a SS 90* Elbow on it.
1240397_10100944250077459_4111937030588596392_n.jpg

There you go.

Why so low?
I chill through a plate chiller and would ideally like to recirc back through the whirlpool port to chill. Wouldn't you want it near the top of the normal wort level for that purpose? (I assume you use an IC)

Blichman schmichman, Palmer "approved" or not, you guys have an awesome kettle design and build that is all quality.

Why so low?
I chill through a plate chiller and would ideally like to recirc back through the whirlpool port to chill. Wouldn't you want it near the top of the normal wort level for that purpose? (I assume you use an IC)

Mine is low for 4 reasons:

1. High or low it doesnt matter... its going to create a whirlpool in there.
2. I recirc through my plate chiller and it cools very quickly.
3. If you put it high and you do a 5g batch you are just splashing the wort onto the top of the wort in the kettle. This gives me added flexibility to do 5 and 10g batches.
4. I sparge through the recirc port that way i don't need to worry about a hose slipping out or what not.

I typically do 10 but also want the flexibility to do 5.
I read a thread on here that made me concerned with recirculating while chilling and having the port low. The cooled wort will stay low and you'd have much hotter wort on top, right?

Take this for what it's worth coming from a newb brewer..But looking at these kettles I am really impressed! Once and IF I get REAL serious with this brewing thing, I just may have to pick up a couple...Awesome looking stuff! :)

Back