Why do I have an iceberg in my fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was gone for 2 weeks, and came back to a solid chunk of ice attached to the cooling element inside my bar fridge. This happens occasionally, no problem if I have to defrost it every so often, but this was 2 weeks and the most solid piece of ice yet.

Is it a moisture problem? Air getting in? WTF?

I actually had the same problem with my kegerator made from a bar fridge, my CO2 tank was encased in a block of ice. I'm not sure what it was. I was thinking it might be moisture, but I'm really not sure.

Humidity is the most likely culprit. Is is the sanyo with the door off in your pics you are talking about?

I have the same fridge and with the door on once i had the same problem. They seem to be sensative to moisture in the air.

I would guess moisture, too. I get a lot of condensation inside my lagering fridge, so I've been looking for a bucket of Damp-Rid, but I can't find any anywhere... :mad:

any TV/stereo type shop will have loads of desicant bags from all the packaging. They work well and are free

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I got damp-rid at home depot, it is in the paint section.
Yep, same here. Doesn't seem like the most logical place for it, but I found it down by the paint stripper/goo gone/etc in the paint aisle at my local HD.

Regarding the original post, I'd check for leaks - if the door on my kegerator doesn't get shut fully (liquid line in the way, etc) the cooling plate gets sheeted in ice pretty quick, as it runs constantly trying to keep the fridge cold. Also, what temp do you have your fridge set at? If it's very close to freezing, the cooling element is going to have to spend a lot more time below freezing to keep it there, whereas whenever it's not below freezing it'll be naturally defrosting.

Funkenjaeger said:
Yep, same here. Doesn't seem like the most logical place for it, but I found it down by the paint stripper/goo gone/etc in the paint aisle at my local HD.

Regarding the original post, I'd check for leaks - if the door on my kegerator doesn't get shut fully (liquid line in the way, etc) the cooling plate gets sheeted in ice pretty quick, as it runs constantly trying to keep the fridge cold. Also, what temp do you have your fridge set at? If it's very close to freezing, the cooling element is going to have to spend a lot more time below freezing to keep it there, whereas whenever it's not below freezing it'll be naturally defrosting.

Yeah, that is prolly another problem. I keep it way too cold, in order to cool it faster. I'm assuming it is having the opposite effect, AND creating the iceberg. I have some damp rid, looks like I'm putting it in there!

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, when defrosting a fridge, it helps to turn off the fridge too. I had it sitting open all night last night and just now realized the damn thing was still plugged in. Took out the wrong plug....dammit!

Back