Old Foghorn Barley Wine Recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I tried my first Barley Wine at the Dixie Cup and it was an Old Foghorn clone. I enjoyed it enough that I want to brew one.

Anyone have the recipe. I'm not having much luck with google. I found an all extract version, but I prefer to go All Grain. Thanks.

I've never had or made it, but how about combining the info in this and this?

Looks like 90% 2-row/pale malt and 10% 55L crystal malt, 1.100 OG, 60 IBU using all cascade hops. And according to the Anchor website, apparently they only use the first runnings of the mash, which I found interesting.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

Not much info on their site except it uses all Cascade hoping. I would suggest brewpastors Barley wine if you can not find anything on old foghorn, it is an awesome beer.

I guess it pays to not throw anything away. I was digging through my back issues of Zymurgy and found the Old Foghorn Clone recipe from the July/August 2003 issue. It is as follows (exactly as written):

Anchor Old Foghorn Clone (All Grain)

21 lbs (9.45 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb (0.45 kg) 80°L Crystal

Mash at 148° F (64° C) for 60 minutes with about 7 gallons (29 L) water to collect 6.5 gallons (24.6 L) of first wort. (You may need two lauter tuns to do this if you choose to do an all grain recipe. Drained mash can then be sparged with 175° [79° C] water into another kettle to produce a "small beer.")

2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (first wort) 37 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (45 min.) 18.4 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (30 min.) 10.5 IBU
2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (dry)
1 Whirlfloc tablet or 1 tsp (5 ml) Irish Moss (20 min.)
California Ale Yeast

Boil wort 60 to 90 minutes with hop additions above. Cool to 68° F (20° C) and pitch a generous amount of yeast (pitching the dregs of a previous 5 gallon batch is recommended) and aerate that sucker like nobody's business. ferment at 68°-72° F (20-22° C) rousing the yeast if fermentation appears to stall, for two or more weeks, then siphon into secondary. When gravity nears target final, siphon into another carboy onto dry hops and cold condition at 45° F (7° C) for 18 months. Package, condition and enjoy!

Original Gravity: 1.101 (25° P)
Final Gravity: 1.043 (11° P)
IBU: 65.9

Cool! Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like a project this winter when things cool off. I can think of the label.

Bee Cave Barley Wine - 2007 Vintage

Ready in 2010 :D

so I should be able to follow this recipe, or should I put it in BeerSmith?

You can just brew from this recipe, but I always enter the recipes into Promash regardless. This way I can open a brew session and make alpha acid adjustments, specific temp adjustments, etc. that are unique to my brewing operation.

DaveyBoy said:
I've never had or made it, but how about combining the info in this and this?

Looks like 90% 2-row/pale malt and 10% 55L crystal malt, 1.100 OG, 60 IBU using all cascade hops. And according to the Anchor website, apparently they only use the first runnings of the mash, which I found interesting.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

Yep and then they use the rest to make Anchor Small Beer, which is not as highly rated as the barley wine, lol.

Cool! Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like a project this winter when things cool off. I can think of the label.

Bee Cave Barley Wine - 2007 Vintage

Ready in 2010 :D

So, is it still on track for 2010?

So, is it still on track for 2010?

Bueller?

I've not been able to get the old foghorn, although I've searched for it for years now. . .this evening I came across a couple cases at the beer store. As an avid drinker/brewer of barley wines, this **** delicious. I've read the recipe on the preceding page, anyone brew it/reviewed it?

It's crystal clear, not cloyingly sweet, and a brutally drinkable beer for the 8.8%. This could be my everyday beer if it weren't for that junk called 'life' that I have to do in between feeding my baby and working. ( I can do both of those well a little tipsy)

Question:

For those of you who have brewed Barley Wines like this, how necessary is the cold conditioning to get the beer to taste right when it's done?

I like Old Foghorn a lot, and I'm tempted to use this recipe, but there is no way that I could condition the final beer like that. What kind of tastes does the cold conditioning add / remove?

The conditioning should enhance the sweetness that Old Foghorn is famous for. It'll also round off the hops and alcohol burn a touch.

I just brewed an extract version of this.

Replaced the 21 lbs of Pale Malt with 12.6 lbs of Briess Golden Light DME. 75 minute boil with the first hop addition at beginning of the boil. I used WLP001.

When you say "cold condition", do you mean condition it in the carboy @ 45° F, or in the bottles?

Thanks!

Proof again that EdWort knows good beer!

I guess it pays to not throw anything away. I was digging through my back issues of Zymurgy and found the Old Foghorn Clone recipe from the July/August 2003 issue. It is as follows (exactly as written):

Anchor Old Foghorn Clone (All Grain)

21 lbs (9.45 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb (0.45 kg) 80°L Crystal

Mash at 148° F (64° C) for 60 minutes with about 7 gallons (29 L) water to collect 6.5 gallons (24.6 L) of first wort. (You may need two lauter tuns to do this if you choose to do an all grain recipe. Drained mash can then be sparged with 175° [79° C] water into another kettle to produce a "small beer.")

2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (first wort) 37 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (45 min.) 18.4 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (30 min.) 10.5 IBU
2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (dry)
1 Whirlfloc tablet or 1 tsp (5 ml) Irish Moss (20 min.)
California Ale Yeast

Boil wort 60 to 90 minutes with hop additions above. Cool to 68° F (20° C) and pitch a generous amount of yeast (pitching the dregs of a previous 5 gallon batch is recommended) and aerate that sucker like nobody's business. ferment at 68°-72° F (20-22° C) rousing the yeast if fermentation appears to stall, for two or more weeks, then siphon into secondary. When gravity nears target final, siphon into another carboy onto dry hops and cold condition at 45° F (7° C) for 18 months. Package, condition and enjoy!

Original Gravity: 1.101 (25° P)
Final Gravity: 1.043 (11° P)
IBU: 65.9

Thanks for the contribution, man!

I see that you list Chico as the utilized yeast strain. Was that a typo?

Whether or not it is, when using the less-attenuating Cali V (Anchor's house Ale strain), how long should this beer sit in primary?

I hear that ales fermented with this strain should sit a few days longer than the comparable Notty, Chico or Pac-man strains.

For larger beer, like this, is a month recommended?

I'm going to brew a 3gal batch of this. Using my tried and true formula 3gal = (21x3/5), it still comes in at 12.6lbs 2row pale. As far as the cold conditioning goes, I have a fridge in my garage and fitting a smaller conditioning vessel will be easy. But that stage is dry hopped and then it says to package, condition and enjoy. So my one question:
If I naturally carbonate, will I have any yeast left after 18mos of cold conditioning or will I need to spike it a little with some fresh yeast?

got everything to hopefully brew this on friday!

any pointers? lol - going to have the largest starter on the stirplate that it can handle with a bit extra yeast nutrient and shake the hell out of the carboy (no Oxy)

Gonna do the AG version of this pretty soon. Did an extract version back in July 2011 - only really aged it for 4 months before bottling, but it was still great - finished off the batch slowly over the course of the past year - cracked the last bottle a few weeks ago, so I need to restock.

Back