wondering about yeast generations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukeedogs

Reaction score
I use Jamils starter step up calculator for my yeast and always save half of it in my keezer in a sterilized mason jar for later use. I calculate its viability when im ready to use it again and its been workin awesome, ive used one pack of 1056 for like, 5 months now, and brewed at least 10 carboys with it. Im wondering if i should start to worry about the yeast starting to mutate from too many generations? Ive read on here that its probly OK because the yeast isnt growing that much compared to reusing yeast thats fermented a whole carboy. Any advise?:confused:

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that you do not store from the yeast in the carboy after brewing and the 10 brews are from stepped up starters of the original 1056 pack.

If you are not stressing the yeast and storing them under optimum conditions then you could go on for ages without noticing any mutation I believe.

If it continues to make great beer, no worries. If you have longer lag times, incomplete attenuation, or off flavors, pitch it and start over.

If your "saved" yeast isn't touching the beer, sanitation and temp control are your only real concerns.

Back