Siphoning cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjtaylor

Reaction score
So I brewed up my first all-grain batch. It was also my first double-fermentation batch.

When I went to siphon the wart from the fermentor to the keg for secondary fermentation. It was still cloudy and still bubbling. I did get some yeast into the keg. Is this really bad?

Any tips for siphoning when the beer is still cloudy? It seems like the bottom gallon was all yeast... From what I've read it's normal for the beer to be cloudy when transferring...

Thanks,
WT

How long has it been fermenting? Why are you transferring to a keg to secondary?

I would have just left it in the primary until it was totally done, then transferred it to the Keg. All the yeast and stuff will settle out once it gets chilled, the first few pints you pull will be all trub.

I secondary in my kegs all the time....but it does sound like it was ready for that....a couple things you can do with clarity...is if you have a room in a fridge or a fermentation chamber is cold crash it....the yeast will drop to the bottom and clear...also I've recently became a big user of whirfloc tablets....basically put a tablet in your boil the last 10-15....while in the fermenter all the proteins and solids will colegele and eventually drop to the bottom making very nice clear beer....

So I brewed up my first all-grain batch. It was also my first double-fermentation batch.

When I went to siphon the wart from the fermentor to the keg for secondary fermentation. It was still cloudy and still bubbling. I did get some yeast into the keg. Is this really bad?

Any tips for siphoning when the beer is still cloudy? It seems like the bottom gallon was all yeast... From what I've read it's normal for the beer to be cloudy when transferring...

Thanks,
WT

There is really no reason to do a secondary unless adding something, but that is another story.

If it was still bubbling was fermentation finished? What was the final gravity?
You should wait until final gravity is reached before transferring. That usually means 5-10 days then take a gravity reading, wait 2 more days and take
another. If the numbers are the same - transfer.

Cloudy is not a problem in itself. It will clear in time.

There will be more trub in the bottom of the primary with all grain compared to extract. You want to minimize the transfer of this to the secondary. Waiting longer before transferring will help here also. It will give it longer to compact on the bottom.

So it sounds to me like you transferred to secondary too early.

It def sounds like it was still fermenting. always wait till FG is reached & the beer is settled out clear or slightly misty before any racking.

We'll see how it turns out.

OG wasn't taken because I forgot. But the rest of the splarge was 1.060 @ 70 degrees and the gravity of the beer when it was transferred to secondary was 1.026. I'm looking for a target ABV of 5% with it being tapped Oct 22. I'll probably tap a few days before to see if it's even worth serving.

Back