Anyone ever try to use a 15 gallon keg as a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticks22

Reaction score
How did it go? Were you able to clean it after fermentation was done? I want to use a 15 gallon keg as a fermenter any issues you might think of? I want to order another keg from ADVENTURES IN HOMEBREWING so I can make a 15 gallon batch and not rack 3 carboys. I can get a unmodified keg for $139.00. Any thoughts?

Yeah I used to ferment in an unmodified sanke with no problems. I bought a carboy cleaner that attaches to a drill to clean it and it worked great... others have have good success with just filling it with PBW or oxy and letting it sit for a day or so. The thing I liked best was steam sanitizing... just put about a gallon of water in it, put a foil cap on and boil for about 20 minutes. Let it cool and drain the water and you are ready for wort. I used an orange carboy cap, just boil it for a few and stretch it to fit the neck of the sanke.

They make great fermentors. But I wouldn't plan on putting 15 gallons in them. I only do ten so there is plenty of headspace.

How did it go? Were you able to clean it after fermentation was done? I want to use a 15 gallon keg as a fermenter any issues you might think of? I want to order another keg from ADVENTURES IN HOMEBREWING so I can make a 15 gallon batch and not rack 3 carboys. I can get a unmodified keg for $139.00. Any thoughts?

like someone else also pointed out you might lose some of your beer out of the blow off unless you use something like fermcap. i ferment 15 gallons in a 20 gallon fermentor.

I'm fermenting right now in a 15.5 Sanke, with just a #11 rubber stopper. It seems to seal just fine, as I had bubbling through the airlock.

It works great. I've done 13 gallons in a sanke with no problems. (use a blowoff just in case)

Only problem I've had is the temp-control. 13 gallons of wort has a huge thermal mass, and cooling is a bit uneven in my temp-controlled freezer. I let mine sit for a few hours before pitching, and shake/swirl it a bit during that time to even out the temp.

The thermowell fermenter cap is a great investment, buy one (or two) and don't look back.

I think it's easier to clean 1 sanke than 2 carboys, I use a sump-pump cleaning machine, and a homemade spinning carboy cleaner.

Im glad that some like the ss beer kegs as fermenters! Im going to be ordering one for such purpose.

One question though before I buy another one. Where is the cheapest place to get another one? Ive been qouted a price of $139.00. Any place cheaper or is that a fair price?

Hi everyone,

Sorry about reviving an old thread, I have a 15.5 gal sanke and am going to try this, but I'm unsure about the recipe.. Do I just double all ingredients like you would a cake mix etc?

Thanks in advance!

That's exactly what I've been doing for about a year now in my sanke keg. Note you'll want to double your yeast pitch as well...

And if anyone is looking and has a brewery nearby, check to see if they have damaged kegs that have been taken out of service. I got mine free that way...

Good luck!

-- bob

That's exactly what I've been doing for about a year now in my sanke keg. Note you'll want to double your yeast pitch as well...

And if anyone is looking and has a brewery nearby, check to see if they have damaged kegs that have been taken out of service. I got mine free that way...

Good luck!

-- bob

That is exactly what I'm thinking of doing, what a great idea 23L is just not enough haha

Back