How to register a brewing co. name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggrizzly

Reaction score
I want to name my novice home brewery in the hopes that one day I may become the next Dogfish Head. How do you register a name so its yours and nobody else can use it?

Google trademarks and registered trade marks.

Basically there is a form and some money (last tiem I checked less than $100). BUT you also need to check first that nobody else is using it for a brewery. That is $$$ (friend ofmine in the mid 80's did that for an unsuccessful game he wrote, cost him around $500 I think he said for the name search).

and what you registar is the logo/name you use. Once you do that EVERY TIME you use your name, you have to mark it up right, or it can be used to say you didn't trademark it (blah blah)...

Anyhow those are the basics (for an idea) you should 1 google and then will probably 2 need to see a lawyer.

I just registered my domain name and have a ficticious business name on file with my local gov't. It isn't much but it is cheaper than trademarking.

Back