WLP300 Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Hey guys, firing up my new system this weekend, I want to make a Heffe and thought about making a starter on Friday afternoon... if I do, will it be OK to pitch after 24 hours? Generally? If not, I guess I CAN wait 48 hours... but I dont want to. I have (4) days off and I want to see this thing start!

Pol

Should be. If you make no starter at all it'll probably take off after 36 or so hours. Should start much faster than that with a starter.

Make sure you use a blowoff hose, those hefe yeasts make lots of krausen. ;)

Just fyi, I've pitched WLP300 straight from the vial and with a starter. Took off in 36 hours without a starter, took about 12 hours with a 24 hour starter...

doesnt wlp300 make more banana flavor on a slower start? or did i just make that up?

If you stress it more (i.e. pitch low, or ferment hot) then you'll get more of those banana flavors. Too much of either and you'll get too much of the banana.

Back