Pork Marinade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dry rub and that's it for me. What kind of cut are you talking about, and are you grilling or smoking. If grilling something like a loin, I usually buy it prepackaged like that. pork chops (if I'm going to marinate it) I grab whatever Lawry's i feel like at the time. But when it comes to smoking, I just apply my dry rub the night before (sometimes day of if I was too lazy to do the night before).

With pork I will usually go with a brine over a marinade. If I do want to marinate it though I have given up ever trying any of the prepackaged or bottled ones. They are all just over salty crap too me.

Bourbon-Brined Pork Chops
4 loin chops (minimum 1" thick)
1 small onion thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
10 black peppercorns
5 allspice berries
3 cloves
3 T brown sugar
3 T coarse salt
3 T bourbon
2 T oil
Mix it all up with enough water to cover chops, refrigerate 2 to 4 hours, smoke on the grill, when just about fully cooked move them over the direct heat to finish

Something simple for pork chops:
Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper
garlic seasoning
Italian dressing

Let sit for at least 2 hours then grill. If you are looking for bbq then a pork rub for at least a day then cook slow and low.

I dont marinade pork, but for a pork shoulder.....

Simply Marvelous Cherry or Apple rub

Then I inject with half Apple Cider and half Apple Cider Vinegar. Once its all pulled I take the cider/vinegar mixture and add a cup of that to a cup of Famous Daves to finish it off.

The brining idea sounds interesting though. Ive only brined birds up until now so I may have to give it a shot

Most Competition Teams including us will marinate with Stubbs Pork Marinade before injecting. Injecting is the most important thing to do to add flavor into your pork butt or shoulder. The rub intoduces little flavor into the pork but is essential for a good bark.

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/pork_marinade.php

pork_marinade.png

product0042.jpg
Mojo Criollo
I will marinade pork shoulders for 12 hours if I can, there isn't usually time in comps for that, but will at home. I use this, as well as inject into the shoulder.
Usually I will just pour a cup or so over the shoulder and vacuum pack it to pull it into the meat.

product0042.jpg
Mojo Criollo
I will marinade pork shoulders for 12 hours if I can, there isn't usually time in comps for that, but will at home. I use this, as well as inject into the shoulder.
Usually I will just pour a cup or so over the shoulder and vacuum pack it to pull it into the meat.

What's your team name? Have you ever won using the Goya stuff. I have been competing a long time and never seen anyone use Goya anything.

Back