Making my Dry Irish Stout kit a little more stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Testament

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to brewing and just started over a little a month ago. I have since become addicted and love reading and learning all there is to know about home brewing.

I am about to brew my second beer which is a dry irish stout that contains the following:

1lbs Simpsons Roasted Barley
6lbs Gold Malt Syrup
2 oz cluster hops
Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

My question is this. I have 3 lbs of Muton's Dry LME, and 3 lbs of Muton's Dark DME. Is there anyway I could add a pound or 2 of one of these to make it more harty without ruining the flavor of this recipe? A friend of mine gave me these, so I want to use them sooner or later, but like I said, I don't want to sacrifice the flavor of the beer to just increase the gravity.

Also, Is there any issue with leaving the hops in the fermentor and not straining it?

Every pound of DME you add will boost the ABV by a little under 1%. So, your initial recipe, which by eyeball looks to be about 4.5% alcohol, will jump to 5.4% with an additonal pound of DME.

Can you do this? Yes, you can. Should you? I dunno - personally, I'm not a fan of boosting recipes this way (although I definitely understand the temptation!). My preference would be to find a recipe with the type of "stoutiness" you want, and make that. That way, you have a tried-and-true recipe where the malts and hops are balanced for the ABV you end up with.

But hey, it's your beer - this is why we brew!

Oh, and as for leaving the hops in the fermenter - this is bound to happen, don't worry about it any more than you need to. I try to leave most of the trub behind in the kettle, but I also want to get all the wort so some gunk always gets in. It just settles to the bottom, no worries.

I wouldn't do it unless you want to a sweet stout. I also don't think there is enough roasted barley to support it.

Thank you gentlement. I also have an Irish Red kit that I'm going to make as well and was wondering if I could use any of it for that. I'm really trying to figure out how to utalize using this DMEs that I have.

I wouldn't do it unless you want to a sweet stout. I also don't think there is enough roasted barley to support it.

I disagree but adding the LME would make it more my style of stout. Reason being, I'm not a dry stout guy. 1 lb of Roasted barley is a lot. Especially for a 4.5% beer, but that's part of what makes it dry. I've used a lb of roasted barley for a 12% RIS and it was plenty. Adding all the LME you have wouldn't make it sweet, it would make it maltier and less dry though. I would do it in a heartbeat, but like I said, thats my personal preference.

Yeah, the reason I was asking it for the stout that I had was I wanted to make it a little less dry. So if my recipe changes to this, you think my 1 packet of yeast will still be able to handle the fermentation? Also, how long should my Dry Dark Malt Extract last in the vacuum sealed pack? Should I add the extra extract in later in the boil or at the beggining with my liquid malt extract?

I disagree but adding the LME would make it more my style of stout. Reason being, I'm not a dry stout guy. 1 lb of Roasted barley is a lot. Especially for a 4.5% beer, but that's part of what makes it dry. I've used a lb of roasted barley for a 12% RIS and it was plenty. Adding all the LME you have wouldn't make it sweet, it would make it maltier and less dry though. I would do it in a heartbeat, but like I said, thats my personal preference.

Add some additional LME if that's what you like.

What other roasted grains were in your RIS?

Are you to have me believe 6 more pounds of extract to the original recipe is not going to impact residual sweetness?

I've brewed that kit......and actually have some bottled. It is simple to make and very good the way it is. If it were me I would leave it alone.

Add some additional LME if that's what you like.

What other roasted grains were in your RIS?

Are you to have me believe 6 more pounds of extract to the original recipe is not going to impact residual sweetness?

I said to use the LME of which he has 3 lbs so No, its not going to make a "sweet" beer. There is a difference between Sweet, and Malty. Its not like he's adding straight unfermentables like lactose.

Without LME
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup (0.0 SRM) Extract 85.71 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.23 %
Bitterness: 41.7 IBU
Est Color: 24.7 SRM

With 3 lbs extra LME
6 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup (0.0 SRM) Extract 60.00 %
3 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 30.00 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.1 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.35 %
Bitterness: 35.8 IBU
Est Color: 26.1 SRM

Finishing Gravity will be roughly .005 higher so it will be a touch sweeter but more importantly, it will have more body and feel fuller in the mouth Which is something I personally like in a stout. If you want to make a dry stout, don't add the extra malt. I don't know what your hopping schedule is supposed to be with the 2oz included, but as you can see the hop utilization drops once you add more malt. So, you either need more hops or to adjust the time you put it in the boil to increase bitterness. Personally, I'd buy more hops as late additions give a nice level of complexity to a stout.

Yes, 1 package of S-04 will get the job done. 2 would be better, but 1 will definitely work. Make sure to aerate well.

Without LME
6 lbs Lyle's Golden Syrup (0.0 SRM) Extract 85.71 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.1 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.23 %
Bitterness: 41.7 IBU
Est Color: 24.7 SRM

With 3 lbs extra LME
3 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 30.00 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.1 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.35 %
Bitterness: 35.8 IBU
Est Color: 26.1 SRM

Finishing Gravity will be roughly .005 higher so it will be a touch sweeter but more importantly, it will have more body and feel fuller in the mouth Which is something I personally like in a stout. If you want to make a dry stout, don't add the extra malt. I don't know what your hopping schedule is supposed to be with the 2oz included, but as you can see the hop utilization drops once you add more malt. So, you either need more hops or to adjust the time you put it in the boil to increase bitterness. Personally, I'd buy more hops as late additions give a nice level of complexity to a stout.

Yes, 1 package of S-04 will get the job done. 2 would be better, but 1 will definitely work. Make sure to aerate well.

Thanks so much for the help! Yeah, I'm sorry that I did not properly specify that what I had was a dark dry malt extract and a light dry malt extract. I hadn't had my coffee yet when I went back and read how I incorrectly stated.

I think I am going to go with 2-3 lbs of the dry dark malt extract additionally and run the cascade hops at 1oz beggining boil and 1oz for the last 15 minutes. If not I will pick up another oz and run the 2oz at the beginning and 1oz for the last 15. Sound good?

So you have cluster or cascade? Do you know specific AA on them?

If its Cascade and close to 5% then I'd do this, also adjusted for dark dry extract. Also, 1.070 is probably going to do far better with 2 packs of S-04. S-04 can be a fast fermenter, but when you start with a small amount they will finish prematurely leaving it a little sweeter than desired.

3 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 30.00 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 36.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.8 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.82 %
Bitterness: 40.9 IBU
Est Color: 27.6 SRM

Sorry it's Cluster Hops believe close to 5%. I said Cascade cause that's what I just used with my wheat beer that I did. Hectic time at work. Would you run those the same way? I will pick up another pack of the yeast and extra ounce of the hops and should be good. I will let you know how the recipe turns out. I'm also probably going to throw in some oats in with the grains to smooth it out a bit.

I love Oats. The fun part about brewing is learning by trial and error. With a little research before hand, you'll almost always end up with a beer you like or thats at least drinkable. I've only ended up with 1 batch that I am considering dumping and I'm blaming it on Peat smoked malt. Won't try that again.

Back