Inspired by others...here is my Ferm Chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
Here is my ferm chamber build. The unit is a Kenmore Elite I got off Craigslist for $65. I was intending to use this for an "in the house" kegerator but I could tell SWMBO wasn't too keen. Also, I decided I wanted more capacity so I went with a deep freeze, instead.

Thanks to all of those threads on here that inspired me. I'm not great with power tools but this was big time fun. Working great so far. :ban:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/mjdore/albums/fermentation-chamber-build/

Nice. Mine looks a lot like that, except i used the blue foam stuff. How many layers of foam did u use?

Nice. Mine looks a lot like that, except i used the blue foam stuff. How many layers of foam did u use?

I wanted 1.5" of insulation so I could keep it uniform with my framing 2x4s. I ended up using a 0.5" layer of styrofoam and a 1.0" layer of R-max.

Base frame made of 2x4s. Used liquid nails as well as blocks underneath for support and for mounting the wheels.
1296-base-frame-made-2x4s-used-wood-glue-well-blocks-underneath-support-mounting-wheels.jpg

The Kenmore
1297-kenmore.jpg

Currently big enough (after modification) to house one carboy/bucket.
1298-currently-big-enough-after-modification-house-one-carboy-bucket.jpg

Plywood floor. I raised the side where the refrig will sit by 1.5" (or the height of a 2x4). This will give room for the insulation and chamber floor.
1299-plywood-floor-i-raised-side-where-refrig-will-sit-1-5-height-2x4-will-give-room-insulation-chamber-floor.jpg

Framing going up, fridge on, with framing attached via liquid nails. Insulation on the floor.
1300-framing-going-up-fridge-framing-attached-via-liquid-nails-insulation-floor.jpg

Side wall up with insulation...drying. I used 3M Super 90 Adhesive on the insulation except for the pieces on the roof and door where I used liquid nails.
1301-side-wall-up-insulation-drying-i-used-3m-super-90-adhesive-insulation-except-pieces-roof-door-where-i-used-liquid-nails.jpg

Door hung. I used a spacer for the hinges and latches to allow me to put weather stripping behind the door for a tight fit.
1302-door-hung-i-used-spacer-hinges-latches-allow-me-put-weather-stripping-behind-door-tight-fit.jpg

Inside shot. Used the expandable liquid foam for the gaps. That stuff is awful but works. Warning...DO NOT get it on your hands.
1304-inside-shot-used-expandable-liquid-foam-gaps-stuff-awful-but-works-warning-do-not-get-your-hands.jpg

Finished product. SWMBO likes it because it's a shelf that gets my "gear" out of the house, too. I have a Ranco two stage wired up and mounted on top.
1305-finished-product-swmbo-likes-because-its-shelf-gets-my-gear-out-house-too-i-have-johnson-two-stage-wired-up-mounted-top.jpg

Blueberry Wheat in secondary. I have stage one set to turn on the fridge and the small fan you see. Stage two will turn on the ceramic space heater as needed. The floor is melamine shelving I found laying around which I cut to fit.
1307-blueberry-wheat-secondary-i-have-stage-one-set-turn-fridge-small-fan-you-see-stage-two-will-turn-ceramic-space-heater-needed-floor-melamine-shelving-i-found-laying-around-i-cut-fit.jpg

I second the "don't get great stuff on your hands". took me a day to get that crap off!!

looks good. I used the ebay temp controller on mine and it worked really well.

Guess I am too poor to see this build. Ahhh what it would be like to be a premium member I can only imagine.

What model is the fridge? I'm looking for one that holds 1 carboy

It's a Kenmore Elite 4.4 or 4.6 cu ft. I can't remember the model number off hand. It's mentioned in several threads on this board, though. It has a really nice capacity with the door shelving removed.

Latest posts

Back