Commercial Rye Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storunner13

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to try a commercial beer made with a significant amount of rye. I've never tried such a beer, and I think it might just be for me. I'm currently in the Minneapolis area, so are there any commercial varieties I could pick up at my local beer stand?

Try the new Summit Rye IPA. It is part of the 'Unchained' brew series (limeted edition). It was just released, and may be a little hard to find right now. It is VERY tasty IMO.

I bought mine at the Richfield Municipal Liquor store at 66th St & Hwy 62 (near the Target/Home Depot shopping area).

Michelob makes a rye IPA that is respectable. I bought a variety case of theirs recently (ironically, I was drinking it while watching beer wars - I hope I don't go to beer Hell for this!), and of the beers included, I thought it was the best of a mediocre lot.

I had a couple Bear Republic hop rod ryes while doing "research" for my RyePA recipe. I recall it being a decent brew, now to get my RyePA to be a decent brew, first batch was unbalanced, new version should be Killa!

i've heard good things about terrapin ryePA, but can't get it in iowa, maybe you'll have better luck up north.

The only Rye I've ever had is Lancaster Rare Rooster Rye Ale. Love the stuff. No idea if it's a good example of the style though, or if you could get it where you are.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely look around for the Summit, as that should be the most available brew.

Back