Had to dump a beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Sorry to all. I know its a shame but I tried my first rauchbier (Schenkerla) and it was awful. Way to strong of a smoke flavor for me personally but im sure some people love it. I had just ate a huge meal which prob didnt help. Anyone else try this brew?

It's like trying an IPA before ever tasting a mild pale ale. If you acclimate to a smoked porter, the rauch grows on you. I can't drink a whole glass of the stuff though. You've got to share it.

I can drink a whole bottle myself. The wife hates it. I had one with a sardine (in mustard sauce) and onion on rye sandwhich. Awesome combo!!! However my wife refused to kiss me afterwards.

I haven't had this particular beer, but I do have a Rauchbier of my own that was 75% Rauchmalt. It's certainly different, but I liked it.

I've dumped every pumpkin beer I've ever tried. I'm hoping that someday I'll find one that I can drink.

I haven't had this particular beer, but I do have a Rauchbier of my own that was 75% Rauchmalt. It's certainly different, but I liked it.

I've dumped every pumpkin beer I've ever tried. I'm hoping that someday I'll find one that I can drink.

OB's Rauch was definitely tasty, and actually quite balanced for the level of rauchmalt in it.

As for pumpkin beers, I've had some tasty ones, but they're usually in the minority as I don't particularly care for overdoses of cinnamon. Had a Brooklyn Post Road hit the drain just recently. What an abortion of a beer.

OB's Rauch was definitely tasty, and actually quite balanced for the level of rauchmalt in it.

As for pumpkin beers, I've had some tasty ones, but they're usually in the minority as I don't particularly care for overdoses of cinnamon. Had a Brooklyn Post Road hit the drain just recently. What an abortion of a beer.

I'm glad you said that about post road. I had been feeling like that beer has been getting rediculous leg humping and for what? Way too much corriander. Seriously though, shipyard pumpkin ale is the best. Just a great seasonal beer. Shipyard ftw.

I love Schenklera Märzen myself, but it is an occasional pleasure because the smoke can quickly become overbearing. The Weizen, on the other hand, is revolting - smoky phenols and yeast phenols do not play well together.

I also am not a fan of the pumpkin beers, but the Shipyard one was subtle enough to be tolerable. I wouldn't buy it, but if someone offered me one and there was no alternative, I would drink it. I would not go for two though.

Back