Using Safale # US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kauai_Kahuna

Reaction score
I have a number of meads using different yeast that have gone to the uber-dry level and are currently ageing possibly for many decades.
Lately I have been having the urge to try a mead using US-05, I like the beer it makes, and have made a braggot with it that I liked a little too much. (Made the next morning difficult).

Safale # US-05
Sedimentation: low to medium
Final gravity: medium
Alcohol Tolerance: 12%
Recommended Fermentation temperature: 15C - 24C.

I think with using a large yeast starter from a washed yeast cake, and using nutrient feeding, and maybe even some stepped additions of honey I'm thinking I could get the 12%, and for a 5.+ gallons would be just around 15 lbs of inexpensive amber honey and finish out dry but not a desert, or for that matter too sweet and a dessert.

Has anyone used this yeast shooting for the maximum?
Any ideas.

I have a mead going now that i used Wyeast 1056 which is pretty much identical to US-05. It seemed to work pretty good but it pooped out at around 10% ABV. So i ended up having to toss in some Champagne yeast and that is finishing the job now.

I also used the staggered nutrient additions and a large starter.

Chello - Thanks, so I may look at starting with 10 lbs, once that is going strong step up with another 2 lbs on the third SNA and play it by ear after that.

I am working on a 2 mead experiment right now.
2 3gallon batches, 6#'s Colorado Field honey and 40 oz Blackberries in each, the whole point is to have something I can keg and have on tap without dedicating 2 years to it....just looking for tasty ASAP!
Anyhoo, after listening to an episode of Basic Brewing Radio, I decided to use US-05 as they found it to be a good choice in an experiment that they did using different yeasts in the same must.
I'm on day #2 of the SNA and de-gasing every 12 hours, and the yeast seems to be doing what it should...went from 1.062 down to 1.032 in 24 hours.

Big - Good to see you and be graced with your presence, we missed you man.
Thanks for the info, the plan has been pushed back due to a braggot that will be yeast starter is taking it's sweet time to go through primary fermentation, but this is definitely on.
Oh, a word of warning about mead on tap, it can make the next morning a real pain if you enjoy it too much.

Well, since I like to follow up on things I start.
It started off great, then it started to slow, here are my cliff notes.
1800 - 4 Gal of water.
10 lbs Subee Amber honey.
DAP, YN, FermentK,
US-05 yeast, Very Massive pitch of washed yeast.
In Fridge at 55F, 2400 set to 62F.
20090910 1000 Added DAP, YN, stirred 2 lbs Subee Amber honey.
20090911 1100 Stirred SG 1.050 Target 1.042 for SNA. No off flavors, going well, sample great in coffee.
20090912 13:30 SG 1.041, added DAP, YN, stirred. 60F.
20090918 SG 1.020, Racked to secondary. In bathroom.
20090919 Changed out air lock, tiny bubbles reaching it.
20090925 Temp in the 78F range, slow fermentation.
20090930 Starting to clear, very slow fermentation.
20091001 Racked to keg, SG 1.016

I need the 5 gal carboy to keep my pipeline in operation, I was actually hoping that the gravity would be down below 1.010 but you have to do what you got to do.
I prefer to bulk age in the keg, that way I can be ensured of a good seal, and a layer of Co2.
Well, time will tell.

I know this is an old thread but thought i'd add my bit to it. i have been using US05 yeast over in Scotland throughout the Winter with great success on standard light ales, DoubleIPA's, and darker ales. I found that it will ferment albeit at a slower rate at 6 deg C. At this temp expect to double your fermentation time but it does give an extremely clean tasting beer.

Next week I am starting a batch using US-05. I plan on doing a 6 gallon batch with 6lbs of honey. I am shooting for 10%ABV. I wanted something inbetween a cider and a mead.

I just racked mine into the secondary yesterday. FG .994 It was a very slow ferment, part of the reason was I had it on my basement floor which gave it a constant temp of 58 degrees. Unlike my other ciders this came out with much more body and a strong honey taste. I used OB honey and the taste comes through. Though I was sort of thinking there might have been oxidation taking place because I used a bucket for my primary. It had a tight seal but could sitting in in a brew bucket for 2 1/2 months cause oxidation? Not that I mind it is much sweeter than my other ciders but is comptelely dry according to my hydrometer. If anyone local with more expertise wants to sample some and give me your thoughts just send me a message through this sites messaging system. :rockin: 10% cider or hydro-cyser!!!

I have to say I have found the S-05 does not die out at 12% and can go higher.
I had two corks blow, so maybe a stabilization would be in order the next time.
But I think there is a lot to say about using an ale yeast for ABV's less than 12% or so, it taste fantastic and I'm having a hard time hiding the bottles from myself.

I found that using US-05 in a cyser that dried out at .094 left more of a honey taste in the final product. I plan to repeat my US-05 cyser this fall. It came out at 10% and was way more tasty than any of the ciders that I have done. It also had much more body than a dry cider. It took 2 months in the primary to finish but it was worth the wait. They say on the cider forums not to use honey unless you can wait, but I'll take my brew over cider/graff anyday.:D

I just did a batch of cider with Safale 04, and I'm getting a really 'yeasty' taste from it, even though it had plenty of time to finish fermenting and was properly racked, etc. What am I doing wrong?

Back