Very Hoppy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
While bottleing my first batch of home brew, I poured a glass for myself to taste how the beer has progressed over the different stages of the brewing process. My hefeweisen turned out awesome, but found it was very hoppy, even after three weeks in the secondary.

I don't mind hoppy beer, but wasn't really expecting the hops in my hefeweisen to be this pronounced. Will this taste tone down after bottle conditioning for a few weeks?

What hops did you add to it, how much of the hops, long were they boiled for, how much water were they boiled in? The hop aroma will settle down with time, but the bitterness will probably not change much.

For comparison this is what I used in my last 5.5gallon batch of dunkelwiezen (dark hefewiezen) and it turned out excellent. I think the bitterness is matched perfectly, and aroma smells more like banannas from the WL hefe yeast than hops.

60 minutes
1oz Hall Hersbrucker
1oz Tettnang

10 minutes
1oz Hall Hersbrucker

6.6lbs wheat LME
1oz Hallertau Hops (bittering)
1/2 oz Hallertau Hops (finishing)

I Boiled 1oz hops for 55 mins, then added 1/2 oz hops and boiled for additional 10 minutes. All boiled in 3 gallons of water.

Back