Prob. Jumping the gun... But not Activity after pitching yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
I brewed a Nut Brown ale last night.. I do not have a chiller so it is hard for me to cool the brew down very good.. I might have pitched the yeast a little warm.. I had gotten it down to about 75-80 but never checked again just before I pitched... I know it should have been cooler but I was not smart... Could I have killed the yeast.. The other possibility is that the yeast was bad but not sure how to tell... I know it hasent even been 24 hours but my last brew was blowing off after 8 hours.... Hope Im just jumping the gun... Thanks

I have ptiched at 82 a few times and been fine. Remember the air lock is not a good indicater of fermentation and it can take 72 hours for things to get going.

Ive been putting togeather my brewing equiptment with a very tight budget so I have 5 Gal. pails that have to use a blowoff tube for the first several days.. I did have a good amount of blow off with the last brew so I just figured I would see some action... I used Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast if anyone was wondering.. I hope it turns out well... I used my new propaine burner and 30 qt. pot.... Next is the chiller... Im set after that...

I have this posted in a separate larger thread but I thought I would repost it here because it seems very relevant and this is a fresher thread:

It's been about 12 hours since i pitched the wyeast American Wheat, I simply smacked it good and pitched it right into the wort. I don't know how to make a starter, I didn't know such things were necessary. There is absolutely no activity in the carboy which is throwing me off. Usually the day after brewing I wake up the next morning to see healthy fermentation, however, I usually use dry yeast, too. So I'm hoping that since I used wet yeast, or whatever you might consider the smack pack, it will just take a little longer to get started since I apparently didn't prep the yeast right. But I'm also worried the air conditioner was set unusually low last night and could have chilled the carboy to about 65 degrees F.

After reading this thread I realize I may be a little skittish about my liquid baby, but its only because I care :eek:. I will wait at least until tomorrow night before I do anything about it, but I'm wondering if my wort doesn't ferment can I save it by re-pitching some dry yeast in a couple days?

My question for BeerArchitect is what kind of yeast did you use?

I have this posted in a separate larger thread but I thought I would repost it here because it seems very relevant and this is a fresher thread:

It's been about 12 hours since i pitched the wyeast American Wheat, I simply smacked it good and pitched it right into the wort. I don't know how to make a starter, I didn't know such things were necessary. There is absolutely no activity in the carboy which is throwing me off. Usually the day after brewing I wake up the next morning to see healthy fermentation, however, I usually use dry yeast, too. So I'm hoping that since I used wet yeast, or whatever you might consider the smack pack, it will just take a little longer to get started since I apparently didn't prep the yeast right. But I'm also worried the air conditioner was set unusually low last night and could have chilled the carboy to about 65 degrees F.

After reading this thread I realize I may be a little skittish about my liquid baby, but its only because I care :eek:. I will wait at least until tomorrow night before I do anything about it, but I'm wondering if my wort doesn't ferment can I save it by re-pitching some dry yeast in a couple days?

Give it some more time.. you are under pitching with just the smackpack and no starter. After a couple days, check the gravity (airlock is not a good indicator).

Search on making a starter, they are really easy to make and recommended for all liquid yeasts.

You can repitch in a couple of days, but it probably won't be necessary. Liquid yeast without a starter usually takes some time for you to be able to see activity. I had a White Labs vial take about 76 hours after pitching before I could see any activity in the airlock (spare me the airlock is not an indicator crap). Wait a week and if there has been no activity then do something, but don't bother it before then.

You guys were right... I came home last night to some nice steady burps in the blow off container... I'll give it ten days and rack over to the secondary.... Thanks for calming me down.. I always think I pitch to warm... Whats the best range to pitch in?????

70 degrees is about as high as I want to pitch any ale yeast (unless I decide to try a Saison), and I usually prefer to pitch closer to my planned fermentation temperature, which is usually 65-66. I tend to prefer mostly clean styles without a lot of yeast esters.

I should also note that you guys were right. My soon to be beer is looking great. And I'm going to start looking into this whole starters and liquid yeast business.

Back