So I finally broke my Apfelwein cherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I sampled my first glass of the stuff tonight, and I'm just not sure.

This is the batch I brewed for the Apfelwein day back in January, let it run for about 7 weeks, and then into a corny for to age for a bit. I have left it sit at about 65 degrees since, and a couple of days ago moved it into the back room that is even cooler. Just out of curiousity I pulled up on the relief valve, and found there was none.

So, I hooked up the CO2 and gave it a little blast, purged, and then removed the CO2. I found I had a leaky poppit on the gas in side, which is why I had no pressure.

So, I pulled a glass off to check it out. I have to say here, that it was not serving temp, nor carbed at all. But, the first couple of tastes I wasn't sure about it. there was not off tastes, or anything just wasn't sure if I liked it. But, by the time I finished a pint of the stuff, it was sure growing on me :D :drunk:

Damn, this stuff is either the drink of the Gods, or straight from the devil himself :eek:

So from here, where do I go? Am I better to let it continue to age in the keg, or should I bottle it and let it age in the bottle? I will say that the glass I poured tonight was very clear.

I am convinced that I am going to want mine carbed, so can I force carb and then bottle, or bottle and let it carb naturally?

Just looking for some suggestions.

I do believe that with a litte more time, and carbonation, I will thoroughly enjoy this drink. But, the after the first tast tonight I must admit I'm a little scared ;)

Ceedubya - I love that avatar! I think that part was the best portion of that movie.

I generally bottle my AW. I like to have several vintages to share, I will have some that is a year old. Portability is nice as well.

I just started kegging and I kegged one batch just for the 4th of July. (SWMBO and I go to this big party in Chicago.) I put 30psi on it and I'm letting it sit. I will put it my fridge and force carb it by mid May or June. Then sample it a week before.

I know Edwort kegs his at 14psi. I'm guessing a lot of others do the same.

I think this dangerous. I'd drink too much, loose count of how many I had to drink.

Ceedubya - I love that avatar! I think that part was the best portion of that movie.

I generally bottle my AW. I like to have several vintages to share, I will have some that is a year old. Portability is nice as well.

I just started kegging and I kegged one batch just for the 4th of July. (SWMBO and I go to this big party in Chicago.) I put 30psi on it and I'm letting it sit. I will put it my fridge and force carb it by mid May or June. Then sample it a week before.

I know Edwort kegs his at 14psi. I'm guessing a lot of others do the same.

I think this dangerous. I'd drink too much, loose count of how many I had to drink.

Thanks! My brother was the sound editor for Beerfest, in fact he has worked on all of the Broken Lizard stuff since Supertroopers. That is the funniest part of the whole show. "I like a little mustard on my hot dog" :D

If I bottle this, whats to best way to get the bottles carbonated? Or am I better to just keep it in the keg? I know that I can use priming sugar, but after this much time, do you think it will still carbonate?

I've always just carbed mine in bottles like I would a beer with corn sugar. Nice little champagne-like bubbles. I can't give you a decent answer whether it will still carb after waiting, tho.

I had the same reaction after my first taste, "What's all the fuss about this stuff?" Then, like you said, after about the first pint, I couldn't get enough!

Latest posts

Back