New Pot Upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slip_Stick

Reaction score
I have been using a 7.5 stainless steel pot for a couple years now to brew 5 gallon batches. However, since then I've got myself into all-grain brewing, and I'm having a blast. Actually, I've been enjoying it so much I decided to buy a new gas burner and a new pot to brew 10/15 gallon batches. :rockin:

The only concern I have is the size/shape of the pot I'm currently looking at. It's specs:
- 82 qt.
- 18 3/4" diameter
- 17" height
- 304 Stainless Steel, 18 gauge thickness.

I plan on installing a ball valve and a thermometer as well. So my question is whether or not this pot will work for a.) 10/15 gal batches, and b.) will be thick enough for a spigot and thermometer.:confused:

Thanks guys!

edit: Also, with the pot having such a low w*h ratio, will this cause more boil-off? In that case, which ratio would be the most efficient for a 10/15 gallon batch?

This pot? I've got the 36 qt version to back up my 7.5 gal stainless. Great pot for the money.The wider the aspect ratio, the greater the boil off rate, you just need to learn how to use the new equipment. Should work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
82qt sounds OK for a 15 gal batch, but kinda cutting it close. As a BK, you need to account for post boil volume (which will be closer to 16-16.5gal) plus boiloff (lets be generous and say 2gal/hr) so you'd be at 18-18.5gal pre-boil, in a 20.5gal pot. At that diameter, 1gal of water is ABOUT .75"-1" deep, so you're boiling about 2-3" below the rim of the pot. I can't say anything other than that, just some food for thought.

Great thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Bayou 82 qt stainless steel pot, i'll let you know how it works after the first brew in it!

Mike A -- I realize that it might be cutting it close, so i might just shoot for a 12.5 gallon batch the first time around, then make adjustments as needed.

Thanks again!

Back