first all grain brew in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da5idzero

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just joined the forum last week, after finding the diy for a 10 gallon mlt. This past monday I brewed the first batch. It seemed to go well, for being the first time. I'll give a quick recipe and procedure review, and open myself up to comments and suggestions!

7# German pale ale malt
2# Munich malt
1# Caramunich malt
.25# Carafa I dehusked malt
2 oz. Centennial 9%
2 oz. Perle 6.9%

13 qts 170 degree water to grains, bringing it to 155 degrees.
60 minutes, and the iodine stayed brown. temp at 154 degrees.
added 1 gallon 180 degree to bring to 167, stirred, settled a minute, drained
2.5 gallons (recycling the first half gallon through the grain bed for clarification.)
4 more gallons at 170 degrees, stir, settle,etc...drained 4.5 gallons.
at this point, after getting the kettle on the fire, i checked the gravity of what was still coming out of the mlt, and it was 1.016, which seemed high, so I sparged with 2 more gallons of 170 degree water, making roughly 8.5 gallons to boil down to 5.5. The final run off was 1.012, which was acceptable to me, so off to the boil...

Initially 8.5 gallons at 1.028. Boiled in three pots for ninety minutes to get 5.5 gallons. (Ok, i have three butane "catering" stoves that boil three to four gallons great. Six to eight gallons, not so much.) Hop schedule was basically half up front, and half an ounce each thirty minutes.
Cooled with hbs made 25'immersion chiller($44.00-for those reading the other thread) in fifteen minutes to about 74 degrees.

pitched us-05 safale after a little shaking about (I aerated the wort as well!),put on a blow-off, cleaned up and had a nice dinner.

after 24 hours the krausen started up. Today, three days into it, and the brew seems darker, all the swirling yeasties falling slowly down into the depths...
Sunday I leave for a week, so saturday I will rack to secondary, and bottle in a week or two.

OK. The recipe was initially going to be an Octoberfest/Marzen thingy, but it is not quite temperature ready for lagering in the basement yet, so it became more of an altbierish job. We like hops, and UVM is talking about building housing on Centennial woods where we like to walk, so the Centennial was a must. The Perle, just because.

OG at yeast pitching was 1.044. My calculations make this roughly 63% efficiency,
beersmith says 1.051 would be 75%. It looks and tastes good so far, and I'll get a better idea saturday, but for a first try I am well pleased.

Now...
1st - I need to get a better cooktop. Are there any propane burners usable indoors?
2nd - I bought two new thermometers today, as the two I used the other day were slightly awkward, and though I know one is ten degrees off, I think I went the wrong way, so the sparge was slightly cool.
finally - Thanks to this forum, I think I was able to get this under my belt (just figuratively, for now) and have a lot of fun doing it. Thanks to all for your posts, and please feel free to critique my methods/recipe/whatever.

David

propane produces too much carbon monoxide when burned. a few guys here do brew indoors away from other combustion sources (gas furnaces/water heaters) and with fans pulling in fresh air and blowing exhaust outdoors.

you can probably get a turkey fryer burner/combo for $40 this time of year and about $20-$25 for a new 20lb propane cylinder, mabye 12-15 bucks to fill it.

I second the above - propane indoors is a bad idea

A $45 turkey fryer has a pretty good burner - and a 30 qt pot.

If you want a good thermometer, I saw a link here somewhere to a very nice one. I bought it the other day after struggling with crappy thermometers on my first AG day last weekend. Check out
http://www.professionalequipment.com/traceable-mini-thermometer-with-nist-certificate-4039/digital-thermometers/

It's a little pricey, but it's pre-calibrated, certified accurate to 1 degree, waterproof, has a long cord connecting probe to display. Perfect for brewing.

Regards,
BP

BrianP said:

If you want a good thermometer, I saw a link here somewhere to a very nice one. I bought it the other day after struggling with crappy thermometers on my first AG day last weekend. Check out
http://www.professionalequipment.com/traceable-mini-thermometer-with-nist-certificate-4039/digital-thermometers/

It's a little pricey, but it's pre-calibrated, certified accurate to 1 degree, waterproof, has a long cord connecting probe to display. Perfect for brewing.

Regards,
BP

I bought this thermometer on recommendation of the post you mention and it failed on my first brew day with it. it started reading crazy temperatures with large fluctuations. i was thinking about simply returning it but another thermo i just bought to replace it is doing the same thing as of tonight, so maybe i'm doing something (i'll never admit that to the folks at the store, though!) i can't think of what it is i'm doing to cause these different thermos to fail in the same way. i'm going to post a question about this separately to see if anyone has had similar experiences. bottom line is it's a very accurate thermo, maybe a bit small and not very sturdy feeling. i certainly expected it to last longer than it did.

SenorWanderer said:
I bought this thermometer on recommendation of the post you mention and it failed on my first brew day with it. it started reading crazy temperatures with large fluctuations. i was thinking about simply returning it but another thermo i just bought to replace it is doing the same thing as of tonight, so maybe i'm doing something (i'll never admit that to the folks at the store, though!) i can't think of what it is i'm doing to cause these different thermos to fail in the same way. i'm going to post a question about this separately to see if anyone has had similar experiences. bottom line is it's a very accurate thermo, maybe a bit small and not very sturdy feeling. i certainly expected it to last longer than it did.

My guess is that it could be a defective unit. I haven't brewed with mine yet, but it seemed to be stable when I tested it. I'd send it back for a replacement.

a lot of thermos will freak out if you get the probe wet where it connects to the lead to the display unit.
mine for example sits at 187F until it dries out.

BrianP said:

Regards,
BP

I've bought this thermometer twice, and twice it's gone crazy on me. Meanwhile, my 10 dollar Sunbeam meat thermomter - virtually indestructible. More expensive isn't always better.

I use a very small digital probe thermometer that was something like 12 bucks at Target for my brewing. Only thing about it is that I always stir before taking because it doesn't go very deep into the wort. I did however have a nigtmare with a thermometer that I clip to the side of my pot to measure the temperature of the grease while frying a turkey. I burned the turkey so bad that the dark meat was completely unsalvagable. I later tested the thing and it read boiling water at 190f . So who knows how much it must have been off at 350. From now on I will always check my thermometor no matter what I use it for. Chalk one up for a lesson learned the hardway.

Back