Liquid yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winkkle

Reaction score
First time using liquid yeast and have a couple question. Is it necessary to let the smack pack to incubate for 3 or more hours? And if so can I go ahead and pour the wort into the carboy and wait a couple hours to pitch?

The 3 hours is a "proofing" time to verify viable yeast. It is not necessary to wait the 3 hours, however it may increase the lag time if you smack then immediately pitch. In short, it's best to make sure it's viable, but it is not required.

winkkle said:
First time using liquid yeast and have a couple question. Is it necessary to let the smack pack to incubate for 3 or more hours? And if so can I go ahead and pour the wort into the carboy and wait a couple hours to pitch?

No and yes to your questions

Be aware that unless you are brewing a beer that has an OG of 1.040 or less you are most likely under pitching your beer.

If you continue to use liquid strains learn how to make starters. Use Www.mrmalty.com or Www.yestvalc.com to calculate pitch rates for appropriate sized starters.

This is not to say your beer will not ferment but your fermentations and your beer will be better for making them:)

I just used the Mr. Malty calculator for my 1.038 OG saison I will be brewing and it says I need to start with two packages of liquid yeast (because the yeast was dated in november, the viability is calculated at 38%). This seems rediculous. Does this assume the small vials of yeast and not the smack packs? Also it only works with 1 liter starters and I plan on doing closer to a 2 liter starter. Why can't I change this in the calculator?

mclaughlindw4 said:
I just used the Mr. Malty calculator for my 1.038 OG saison I will be brewing and it says I need to start with two packages of liquid yeast (because the yeast was dated in november, the viability is calculated at 38%). This seems rediculous. Does this assume the small vials of yeast and not the smack packs? Also it only works with 1 liter starters and I plan on doing closer to a 2 liter starter. Why can't I change this in the calculator?

Use yeast calc, you can change more settings.

Came home to my blowoff tube out if a glass. Liquid on the counter. I will say this is the most vigorous fermentation I've had and its either I've been under pitching or this one is how it should be. I usually see bubbles in the glass and krausen on the carboy but never this much krausen in the tube and in the glass of Sanitizer.

From the horse's mouth.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

Smacking though fun, is never really necessary.

Making the starter is all that matters, not whether or not the pack inflating. It's fine!!!
There's no need to start with a smaller starter or anything. Just proceed as normal.

Heck I rarely even bother waiting for it to inflate, I pop the nutrient pack, give it a shake, and dump it into my starter wort. Saves waiting.

What got me about liquid yeasts is that my white labs vials say it can be pitched straight into wort up to OG1.070 without a starter.
Mine was OG1.055 & I did the starter anyway. Pitched it tueday evening,& around lunch time today initial fermentation is done. It took until about 9AM yesterday to start fermenting. I wonder if the vial pitched straight would take about the same time? Might try it tomorrow & see.

What got me about liquid yeasts is that my white labs vials say it can be pitched straight into wort up to OG1.070 without a starter.
Mine was OG1.055 & I did the starter anyway. Pitched it tueday evening,& around lunch time today initial fermentation is done. It took until about 9AM yesterday to start fermenting. I wonder if the vial pitched straight would take about the same time? Might try it tomorrow & see.

Why they say you can do that is beyond me. They know the cell counts in the vial, yet they say to direct pitch. I guess they figure MOST of the time nothing bad will happen, but don't they realize we're not idiots and realize proper pitching rates??

Yeah,you're probably right. Just hate to have to go to westlake to get yet another bag of DME. Idk,maybe I can squeeze a little for the starter & still have enough for the brew?

I've been reading on another method to pitch without a starter. You take, say, half of your beer and pitch 1 vial of yeast into it, let it ferment for a few days until it starts to krausen, then add the other half. As long as your sanitation was good you should in theory have just made a starter out of your own batch of beer. Heck, even do 1/4 of the batch, 1.25 gallons or so, should get plenty of replication there.

Hmmm,that's an interesting thought. But since I do have 2.5lbs of DME's left,& need only 2.2lbs for the brew,the other 3 tenths could go towards the starter. Don't know how many grams that is off hand...

Back