Restaurant Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviticus

Reaction score
SO... Last Friday (5 days ago), we ordered to go from a local pizza joint - the deal came with a gallon of sweet tea. From past experiences with this restaurant's tea, I know it tends to be quite sweet (we actually cut it with tap water).

Well, we sat it on the counter and promptly forgot about it. Until tonight, when I noticed it was fermenting. Fairly vigorously.

It has one of those 'pull tab' lids that's still sealed, so I'm not worried about it being contaminated with anything else besides what is clearly living in it.

So, here's my solicitation for people's thoughts on:

-what will this produce? - Is this kambucha?
-the safety of whatever this produces
-culturing this 'wild' yeast?
-bottling/storage? (to carb or not to carb?)

and any other input people may have...

IMG_1648.JPG

SO... Last Friday (5 days ago), we ordered to go from a local pizza joint - the deal came with a gallon of sweet tea. From past experiences with this restaurant's tea, I know it tends to be quite sweet (we actually cut it with tap water).

Well, we sat it on the counter and promptly forgot about it. Until tonight, when I noticed it was fermenting. Fairly vigorously.

It has one of those 'pull tab' lids that's still sealed, so I'm not worried about it being contaminated with anything else besides what is clearly living in it.

So, here's my solicitation for people's thoughts on:

-what will this produce? - Is this kambucha?
-the safety of whatever this produces
-culturing this 'wild' yeast?
-bottling/storage? (to carb or not to carb?)

and any other input people may have...

IMG_1648.JPG

Quite honestly without a chemical analysis anything i say would be a guess at what it is growing. If i had to wager a guess i would say it is likely a wild yeast, i highly doubt it will be Kombucha one with think that the manufacturer would have sanitation practices in place to prevent contamination. Tho it would seem those have failed in this case. Personally without knowing what was put in to it or what is growing i would not drink it. That being said i doubt it would be fatal to try a sip, but i wouldn't lol.

It is looking different. Which type of tea is this? Is tea also being fermented? Without knowing what was put in to it or what is growing i would not drink it.

Latest posts

Back