I picked a bad spot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinthehull

Reaction score
My first batch is fermenting and I've just realized I picked a bad spot. The only place i had to put it was in a corner behind a recliner. I've wrapped it in a shirt and then a light but dark blanket to try to protect it from light. I was afraid that it being near and external wall would be too cold at times, but after going back there to check on it, the opposite may be a problem. I don't know how I didn't realize there was a vent back there. It's not right next to it, but it's close and it's warm back there. I'm afraid the blankets might be trapping some heat too. The fermometer on my carboy says 72-74 degrees. Not only is it a little high, but the temperature probably fluctuates a lot. Sigh... Shoulld i replace the airlock with plastic wrap and try to move it? Any suggestions?

What kind of beer is it, and what yeast did you pitch? How long has it been?

I'd place it in a cooler place and let it go. No need for plastic wrap as long as it's bubbling.

First off, don't worry. Just do what you gotta do to fix the temperature issue. Close the vent and keep an eye on the temperature, or move the bucket to somewhere cooler. If you're worried about everywhere else in the house being warmer, you can put the bucket in a larger bucket with cool water. Remember that beer ferments about 5ish degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.

Your beer is not ruined, just get it somewhat cooler for best results.

:mug: RDWHAHB

72-74 is pretty warm.. I'd try to get it at about 68*. You can get one of those beverage cooling buckets at Walmart for about $6.. the plastic bucket with rope handles. Put your FV in it and fill it to the level of the wort with cold water. Then put frozen water or soft drink bottles in there.. one or two daily to keep the temp even.. and about 68*. Works well. If you put a T shirt over the bottle, it'll keep out the light and wick water up to help with cooling.. read swamp cooler. Easy Peezy and inexpensive.

Thanks for the replies. I moved my carboy to our bedroom closet because I decided it was worth pissing my wife off to save the beer. If anything it gets too cold in there when the door is shut. I left it cracked last night and the temp this morning was 66-70 so around 68 degrees (assuming those fermometer stickers work). To the person who asked earlier, i used a True Brew amber ale kit. I brewed it on monday, so yesterday was day 2.

Although my airlock was bubbling constantly the morning after brew day, it had slowed to an occasional bubble around 5:00pm (24 hours after pitching) and then. Completely stopped a few hours later. I've heard a lot of people say it should bubble for 2-3 days. Is this a bad sign? Could my less than optimal temp have something to do with it, or did I just do a good job aerating?

Temp fluctuations can help cause that,but mainly it's just initial fermentation getting done. I've had the initial,vigorous fermentation done in 1 or 2 days before. Then the bubbling slows down or stops at the point where the beer slowly ferments down to FG. So that's pretty normal. I wait 2 weeks before taking an FG sample. It'll be done or close to it,but those last few points can take a while to get down to a stable FG. Maybe another week at that point,ime.

Many will tell you that the bubbles mean nothing. That being said, most likely, fur to the higher temps you beer is probably done. It might have a variation of the original flavor you were going for since yeast tend to give off different flavors at higher temps. They do work double time at higher temps as well though. Have you taken an OG reading when you started fermenting? If so a second reading would tell you if it is close to finished.

I didn't take an OG reading. I had an unexpected chance to brew and that was one thing I hadn't learned how to do it yet. I know it's simple but i just concentrated on the basic process figuring I would do it next time when I'm not worrying about so many other things.

My wife is already complaining that she can't close the closet door, as I'm afraid it'll get too cold in there with it shut. It's always the coldest room on the house in the winter. At what point should i be worried that it's too cold?

I wouldn't worry, even if it dropped below 60 for a little while. Don't sweat it. Leave it alone for a few weeks and it should be fine. Just remember not to let the temp get so high for the next batch.
2c
:mug:

Back