Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well things are progressing faster than I had anticipated, but that works for me! I just made my caramel! Going to get the concentrate in a couple of hours, and may b sippin some still caramel cider by the end of the night! I included pics of my caramel that was 2 cups water, 2 cups golden brown sugar, 1 tsp. of apple pie spice, and 1 tsp. of cinnamon. The other pic is my cider that is ready to be mixed! :) can't wait!

image-416673802.jpg

image-3358451863.jpg

Would this work okay with farm pressed (brownish) apple juice?

It'll work just fine, as long as it hasn't been dosed with preservatives. Some people would say you'll end up with something even tastier than the store bought AJ. But I'm pretty sure you'll have a cloudy, rather than clear, final product.

Anyone else use this recipe and it turn out really sweet? I just kegged mine today along with the caramel syrup and five cans of apple juice concentrate. Gave it a little taste and it's thick and extremely sweet. Granted I just kegged it a couple hours ago and it's not quite cold yet, but still. It's really sweet.

chadkarol said:
Anyone else use this recipe and it turn out really sweet? I just kegged mine today along with the caramel syrup and five cans of apple juice concentrate. Gave it a little taste and it's thick and extremely sweet. Granted I just kegged it a couple hours ago and it's not quite cold yet, but still. It's really sweet.

On pg. 42 USM "rewrote" the recipe and changed the AJC amount to 3 cans due to the overwhelming sweetness of 5 cans...

dhammers91 said:
On pg. 42 USM "rewrote" the recipe and changed the AJC amount to 3 cans due to the overwhelming sweetness of 5 cans...

Any way to desweeten? Didn't quite get to page 42.

chadkarol said:
Any way to desweeten? Didn't quite get to page 42.

Hopefully someone else will chime in bc I can't think of a way to desweeten... Other than reintroducing yeasty to start fermentation back up until the sweetness is to your liking... But I could be way off, it is just a thought...

Two options I've done:
1. Let the Notty do more work longer - say give it 3 weeks instead of just 2 (this was my last foray)
2. Add less FAJC - I only added 2 cans for my entire batch with the carmel syrup and that DEFINITELY has an impact in the right way.

pwortiz said:
Two options I've done: 1. Let the Notty do more work longer - say give it 3 weeks instead of just 2 (this was my last foray) 2. Add less FAJC - I only added 2 cans for my entire batch with the carmel syrup and that DEFINITELY has an impact in the right way.

It sounded to me that he had already added 5 cans if AJC and is looking for a solution to save the batch now that it is over sweetened... That's why I suggested adding yeast again to start fermentation over again. Either in the keg with the center spring peg taken out of the gas connect with a tube connected running into a bucket of water, or transfer it back to a bucket or carboy...

It sounded to me that he had already added 5 cans if AJC and is looking for a solution to save the batch now that it is over sweetened... That's why I suggested adding yeast again to start fermentation over again. Either in the keg with the center spring peg taken out of the gas connect with a tube connected running into a bucket of water, or transfer it back to a bucket or carboy...

::FACEPALM::

You're absolutely right. I was in the middle of my coffee this morning and clearly it hadn't kicked in yet. :drunk:

I just started my second batch of cider yesterday with 2.5 gallons of cheap apple juice and Safale S-05. I used Red Star Champagne yeast the last time and it fermented out to about 1.000. Has anyone used S-05 on a cider? If so, was the FG a little higher than what you would get with a wine yeast? I've seen a couple mentions of S-04 in here but nothing about S-05.

Update: Just saw the stickied thread from CVilleKevin. Not sure how I overlooked that thread for so long. Looks like S-05 might impart a pale ale-like flavor. Not sure the wife is going to like that but it sounds good to me!

So I'm going to make this as a holiday cider, and the reviews look great.

Where i'm stuck: carbonated or still?

I've only done two ciders, a 8.5% with a bit of brown sugar, and a 6.5% with some malic acid, for a tart/sour cider.

With the 'holiday' flavors in there, I could see it going over better as a still cider, but that has me a little nervous, having never left one still. Do you serve it warm? How do you warm it up? Any danger in re-heating already-alcoholic liquid?

Would the bubbles take away too much from the "holiday-ness" of the cinnamon and caramel?

So I'm going to make this as a holiday cider, and the reviews look great.

Where i'm stuck: carbonated or still?

I've only done two ciders, a 8.5% with a bit of brown sugar, and a 6.5% with some malic acid, for a tart/sour cider.

With the 'holiday' flavors in there, I could see it going over better as a still cider, but that has me a little nervous, having never left one still. Do you serve it warm? How do you warm it up? Any danger in re-heating already-alcoholic liquid?

Would the bubbles take away too much from the "holiday-ness" of the cinnamon and caramel?

You'll find people in both camps, but I'm in the one (the best one, of course) that goes with carbonation! I don't know what it is, but I think it adds the right touch.

I've got a toe in both camps on this one. I carbonate, but it's a very very light carbonation, which is exactly where I want it. If it gets too fizzy it loses some appeal for me, so I usually only let it go for a few days before I'm pasteurizing.

to the guy asking if brown cider from farm will clear, yes. i added some pectin enzyme before the yeast and no fining agents. it was crystal clear after 6 months.

ForumRunner_20130923_164752.jpg

dhammers91 said:

If I already added Camden tablets can I still add more yeast? Will the Camden tablets I added previously effect new yeast?

chadkarol said:
If I already added Camden tablets can I still add more yeast? Will the Camden tablets I added previously effect new yeast?

I used fresh pressed cider and everything said to add campdem tablets before adding my yeast to kill any wild yeast. I posed the same question, and I was told that after adding the campdem, you just have to allow the container to be open for 24 hours bc it slowly evaporates. So I just put a piece of run foil with a bunch of holes poked in it with a tooth pick for 24 hrs, then added my yeast. The lag time was about 26 hrs, but it's start, and I did use a 1 L starter. I would imagine it would do the same for you, but I understand if u do tawny to take my world for it. I'm just saying what I have been told and what I did.

I used fresh pressed cider and everything said to add campdem tablets before adding my yeast to kill any wild yeast. I posed the same question, and I was told that after adding the campdem, you just have to allow the container to be open for 24 hours bc it slowly evaporates. So I just put a piece of run foil with a bunch of holes poked in it with a tooth pick for 24 hrs, then added my yeast. The lag time was about 26 hrs, but it's start, and I did use a 1 L starter. I would imagine it would do the same for you, but I understand if u do tawny to take my world for it. I'm just saying what I have been told and what I did.

Perfect. That's what I'll do. I'll take it out of the fridge, let it warm back up and release the pressure, and I'll pitch more yeast. Fortunately I have some dry yeast laying around that should do the trick.

chadkarol said:
Perfect. That's what I'll do. I'll take it out of the fridge, let it warm back up and release the pressure, and I'll pitch more yeast. Fortunately I have some dry yeast laying around that should do the trick.

Sounds like a plan... Keep us posted bc I am curious as to how it turns out! :)

128 pages are too much to read all the way through to answer my question...
my apologies if this has been covered...

2 questions

1 I keg everything so should I use sorbate when I back sweeten?

2 I'm concerned after reading a number of posts with the maple falling out of suspension...
I assume the first 3-5 pints from the keg will be sweet glop?

Thanks

128 pages are too much to read all the way through to answer my question...
my apologies if this has been covered...

2 questions

1 I keg everything so should I use sorbate when I back sweeten?

2 I'm concerned after reading a number of posts with the maple falling out of suspension...
I assume the first 3-5 pints from the keg will be sweet glop?

Thanks

1. Depends. If you keep it cold, no need for sorbate. However, I don't have a kegerator yet for my keg, so I used sorbate.

2. Add the caramel mixture while the cider is still warm and you'll be fine.

3. You didn't ask, but there's a thread search feature in the forum that keeps you from having to read every post in a thread to find your answer.

1. Depends. If you keep it cold, no need for sorbate. However, I don't have a kegerator yet for my keg, so I used sorbate.

2. Add the caramel mixture while the cider is still warm and you'll be fine.

3. You didn't ask, but there's a thread search feature in the forum that keeps you from having to read every post in a thread to find your answer.

Thanks....

I never thought about using the search function... this will save me tons of time Thanks again!!

I see what everyone is talking about with the goop at the bottom. That goop is the cinnamon separating not the Carmel sauce. Cinnamon does not mix with any liquid well. When you heat cinnoman it buts out oil that makes it clot. I have seen this with other recipes. Best option would be to get extract.

I was worried that it would be to sweet so I let it ferment down to 1.000 and then only added the Carmel sauce, no juice. In my opinion it turned out the perfect level of sweet with a mild apple flavor. Next batch I might add one can of juice to drive it a bit more apple flavor but it was well received by the family.

It did not carbonate very fast for me (2 weeks) but that is probably becuase i let it ferment to 1.000 so the yeast was mostly settled out.

Does anyone have the ingredients for this recipe with a 5 gallon carboy? I have a couple 5 gallon carboy's and 6 gallon plastic buckets but the buckets are full of beer. I can always get another bucket if needed.

I see what everyone is talking about with the goop at the bottom. That goop is the cinnamon separating not the Carmel sauce. Cinnamon does not mix with any liquid well. When you heat cinnoman it buts out oil that makes it clot. I have seen this with other recipes. Best option would be to get extract.

I was worried that it would be to sweet so I let it ferment down to 1.000 and then only added the Carmel sauce, no juice. In my opinion it turned out the perfect level of sweet with a mild apple flavor. Next batch I might add one can of juice to drive it a bit more apple flavor but it was well received by the family.

It did not carbonate very fast for me (2 weeks) but that is probably becuase i let it ferment to 1.000 so the yeast was mostly settled out.

I'm making a simple cinnamon extract. Soaking cinnamon sticks in vodka. Two weeks with a shake of the jar every day and it smells ABSOLUTELY awesome. Wonder if this will resolve issues with using powder...

Does anyone have the ingredients for this recipe with a 5 gallon carboy? I have a couple 5 gallon carboy's and 6 gallon plastic buckets but the buckets are full of beer. I can always get another bucket if needed.

Hey Jr., I actually do my 5 gallon recipes in a 5 gallon carboy now. The notty has not created any head at all. I may leave a TINY bit 'o space in the top, but if so, it's less than a 1/4 gallon's worth of space. I've done it twice now.

rocketsan said:
I'm making a simple cinnamon extract. Soaking cinnamon sticks in vodka. Two weeks with a shake of the jar every day and it smells ABSOLUTELY awesome. Wonder if this will resolve issues with using powder...

That's what I'm planning on doing too!
Let me know how it turns out!!!

On the cinnamon thing, another dude posted that you could use a coffee maker and BREW the cinnamon vs adding directly. I did that this past recipe and it turned out pretty well. I have an old single cup coffee maker that I "recylced" just for this purpose. After the brew process I add it as part of my 2 cups of water with my 2 cups of brown sugar.

Back