Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda defeats the point of leveling up doesn't it?

No. You still have to Level up to add perks. The Oghma glitch simply allows you to set each skill to 100. You still have to choose the perks to get the effects of said perk.

But, is it really cheating if the function is designed into the game? The book dupe and armor dupe "glitch" has been a part of TES since it rolled out and Bethesda chooses not to fix it. So, maybe, it just isn't broken. ;)

Sort of like holding down the use button to move things. It's not published anywhere how it works. Someone just has to figure it out.

Frankly, I'm just getting a bit burned out and want to finish it before I move on to something else. This is the first game I have ever played that took more than a few weekends to finish. But then, prior to buying a 360 to play Skyrim I was still playing on an original XBox too.

I did copy a save point prior to boosting with the Oghma.

I say it's cheating whenever it takes the fun out of the game.

Even some mods do this.

Even some mods do this.

Meh. Mods are one thing. Like the Mod that takes away fast travel, it would make the game less fun to me (or maybe just more tedious) but I would definitely not consider it cheating.

Glitching for perks/levels is cheating to me. However, on a ranged character, if I can't kill a guy I will find a good spot where he can't get me. I would rather kill a few un-defeatable enemies that way vs getting stuck and having to keep reloading and/or get fed up with the game. Luckily, your character can be pretty damn strong no matter your play style so this is rare.

Even some mods do this.

I do like that you can make arrows now. Once I level to 47, I am starting all my dragon armor/weapons/arrow stockpile.

Once I hit Lvl 50 the "fun" part of leveling was gone. The Oghma glitch allowed me to get the perks I needed most. But I still have to do the work to get the perks from other trees like Alchemy, Destruction, etc..

Meh. Mods are one thing. Like the Mod that takes away fast travel, it would make the game less fun to me (or maybe just more tedious) but I would definitely not consider it cheating.

Glitching for perks/levels is cheating to me. However, on a ranged character, if I can't kill a guy I will find a good spot where he can't get me. I would rather kill a few un-defeatable enemies that way vs getting stuck and having to keep reloading and/or get fed up with the game.

I've read about some hardcore rimmers that play DID style. To them, reloading is cheating.

Dead Is Dead! Once that character dies, you start over. Feck THAT!

I took simple perks filled the tree for smithing so I can make use of the Daedra hearts and Dragon Bone/Scale I have. Took perks in Speech to be able to invest and sell more stuff. Filled out the Archery tree since i use a bow 90% of the time. And finally boosted heavy armor for more carry weight.

I got s'thing like 33 perks out of the glitch and spent them all on that handful of trees. In smithing, sneak, and Archery, I already had 100 skill but had not earned the perks to advance the trees.

As for the leveling, I spent several on Stamina to get it to 450 and then balanced the others across magick and health to bring those to 350. Still, I've come across a couple Ancient dragons and High level mages tha wasted me in no time flat.

Don't worry Gila, I'm not attacking you.:)

For me, cheating in games is like taking steroids in life. Go ahead and do it if you want but I'm not going to.

With that said, there are many games that once I have legitimately beat them, I find and use any cheat code I want.

AH... I just remembered... for both Oblivion and Morrowind I used the health/magic/stamina regen cheats every time I played them. But, to be fair, playing those games on console was damn near impossible without cheating due to the fact that you couldn't hotkey ANYTHING in Morrowind and for Oblivion they only gave you a few slots to hotkey with.

Don't worry Gila, I'm not attacking you.:)

For me, cheating in games is like taking steroids in life. Go ahead and do it if you want but I'm not going to.

With that said, there are many games that once I have legitimately beat them, I find and use any cheat code I want.

AH... I just remembered... for both Oblivion and Morrowind I used the health/magic/stamina regen cheats every time I played them. But, to be fair, playing those games on console was damn near impossible without cheating due to the fact that you couldn't hotkey ANYTHING in Morrowind and for Oblivion they only gave you a few slots to hotkey with.

Nah. I don't feel attacked. I'm just not really convinced it's cheating. Taking advantage sure, a flat out cheat (like is possible with console commands) no.

I see it like smithing a thousand daggers in 20 minutes to boost smithing or initiating the same conversation a dozen time with a NPC because you can get speech boosts or training then pickpocketing.

You still have to go through all the motions to get the benifit. It's not like entering a few characters into a command prompt and suddenly you own everything.

I see it like smithing a thousand daggers in 20 minutes to boost smithing or initiating the same conversation a dozen time with a NPC because you can get speech boosts or training then pickpocketing.

The smithing thing I might try because smithing takes too damn long.

The speech thing doesn't sound like cheating to me but it is too much work for me.

The training/pickpocket thing isn't cheating, it is using your skills... I might try this as well.

I agree that using the consol for anything other than getting unstuck is cheating.

I'm just not really convinced it's cheating. Taking advantage sure, a flat out cheat (like is possible with console commands) no.

Console commands can come in handy for a game riddled with glitches. I would never have all the cobwebs and crap out of the Hjerim house if it weren't for console commands. Heck, I wouldn't even have the house because the level that I needed to pass to get me there was glitched. I had 95% of the mission completed, but the last part was severely bugged.

Mods to make the game harder, or look better is not cheating since you're just advancing the difficulty and/or the graphics. Mods to make explosive arrows is cheating... especially if you used Oghma to power up Destruction to 100 and then used that spell for a ranged arrow attack. Everything becomes easy as hell and very boring after awhile. Just my .02 - You should work for your skills. Imagine playing a bunch of cheaters in multiplayer. I wouldn't even bother.

What am I supposed to do with this game when all I have left is side jobs from the Companions, Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold, etc.?

I keep thinking something big is going to happen after I chew down a bunch of these side missions. Is there something I missed that will kick this game into the next gear?

What am I supposed to do with this game when all I have left is side jobs from the Companions, Thieves Guild, College of Winterhold, etc.?

I keep thinking something big is going to happen after I chew down a bunch of these side missions. Is there something I missed that will kick this game into the next gear?

Have you been awarded all the achievments?

If not, go after those. If yes, you are done. Skyrim is a game that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started playing not knowing what it was. And they'll keep playing on forever just because, Skyrim is a game that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friend. some people, started playing not knowing what it was. And they'll keep playing on forever just because...

By achievements, if you mean shouts and skills, then yes... minus a few higher level master restoration etc perks.

Oh well, I honestly thought it would never end. But my definition of that is not catching a different escaped criminal, returning a book, or killing a different bear on different parts of the map.

By achievements, if you mean shouts and skills, then yes... minus a few higher level master restoration etc perks.

On Xbox they are achievements, on PS3 they are Trophies, you are on a computer but I do not know what they are called for that. Some examples of these are; get 100k gold, get married, buy all the houses(?)... things like that.

Oh well, I honestly thought it would never end. But my definition of that is not catching a different escaped criminal, returning a book, or killing a different bear on different parts of the map.

On Xbox they are achievements, on PS3 they are Trophies, you are on a computer but I do not know what they are called for that. Some examples of these are; get 100k gold, get married, buy all the houses(?)... things like that.

This. For PC I think tehy are called "Steam Achievments"

I have read that the Radiant Engine used on this game manages to track all the items and people of Syrim. And uses this tracking to generate endless numbers fo radiant quests to force you to find this and that. Read somewhere that the game is designed such that a player "could" run nearly a 1000 hours of play and still not have found everything or talked to everyone.

FWIW, I have also read that Skyrim is limited on how much of the perks a player can earn. Even if you do the work to have 100's in all teh skills, you can only attain about 80% of the perks through Level 100.

GilaMinumBeer said:
This. For PC I think tehy are called "Steam Achievments"

I have read that the Radiant Engine used on this game manages to track all the items and people of Syrim. And uses this tracking to generate endless numbers fo radiant quests to force you to find this and that. Read somewhere that the game is designed such that a player "could" run nearly a 1000 hours of play and still not have found everything or talked to everyone.

FWIW, I have also read that Skyrim is limited on how much of the perks a player can earn. Even if you do the work to have 100's in all teh skills, you can only attain about 80% of the perks through Level 100.

There is a mod for PC though where you can trade dragon souls for a perk. I believe it's 10 souls per perk.

On the tail end of The Guild. Running these small jobs SUCKS! Not that they are too easy, just that they are too repetitive.

I read somewhere that if you complete 125 of them you get something out of the ordinary. bless! I am struggling just to finish the 20 jobs needed to complete the final stage of the guild.

Are you talking about the, "Go steal this" "Go change the books" and "Go pickpocket this" quests? I did about 5 of those and said screw it.

Are you talking about the, "Go steal this" "Go change the books" and "Go pickpocket this" quests? I did about 5 of those and said screw it.

Yep. The Delvin and Vex quests. You have to do 5 quests (mixed) in each of Whiterun, Windhelm, Solitude, and Markarth to be awarded a "Special Job" in each hold. Once the special job in each hold is complete you've finished the Guild quest line and have return the the guild to it's former glory (plus added 4 fences and increased all fences holdings to $4k.).

The Bedlam and Sweep quests are more "fun" than the others, IMO.

I have 3 quests for Windhelm left and 3 quests for Solitude left. Then I can focus on Brotherhood quests.

Yep. The Delvin and Vex quests. You have to do 5 quests (mixed) in each of Whiterun, Windhelm, Solitude, and Markarth to be awarded a "Special Job" in each hold. Once the special job in each hold is complete you've finished the Guild quest line and have return the the guild to it's former glory (plus added 4 fences and increased all fences holdings to $4k.).

The Bedlam and Sweep quests are more "fun" than the others, IMO.

I have 3 quests for Windhelm left and 3 quests for Solitude left. Then I can focus on Brotherhood quests.

Ah well maybe I will have to finish them.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Anyone playing Skyrims 14th Century cousin?

Dishonored?

Any good? Available for PS3? I haven't heard of it. But then again, I let my Game Informer expire so I'm not exactly in the loop.!

I ave played the entire elderscrolls lot. I have to say that skyrim is by far the best. My brother let me barrow it for 2 days and I may have taken maybe 2 hours of a break in that time.

I joined the thieves guild, and DB. I played as an archer/hunter/thief. Was amazing, The dragons giants and mammoths constantly on top of you do take away from the experence until you get tough enough to kill them fairly easily.

I recently started a new character build that is by far the most fun I've played yet. With the dawnguard expansion and the hearthfire expansion, a whole new level of awesomeness is added. Though they're not entirely necessary for this build to be awesome, they definitely enhance it a lot.

Basically I'm playing a fear-throwing, fire-slinging, necromancer vampire. Man this build is fun.

I am level 30 something and so far have put all my points into illusion, conjuration, destruction, and restoration. Once I hit all the perks I want from those trees, I'll probably start adding to enchanting (or maybe speech). But I won't get there until I'm at level 44.

There is some nice synergy in the perks I chose. The Aspect of Terror perk in Illusion gives +10 damage to all fire spells, combining this with Augmented Flames and Intense Flames makes fire the obvious choice for destruction. Also, as a vampire, the Necromage restoration perk makes everything you cast on yourself more effective as you are considered undead.

At this point I walk into a dungeon, summon something, cast fear on the closest guy, and hang back as my summoned minion goes to hunt him down. This usually alerts more enemies and they all start going into attack mode. Casting fear when things get too hot until my summoned creature dies, then I start raising the dead to fight. If there are enough dead guys and a hard boss, I use the ritual stone to raise every dead creature in the dungeon and it's basically a bloodbath. Sometimes I'll use frenzy on a group of enemies and laugh while they kill themselves. Transforming into a vampire lord is cool but unnecessary as the perks don't translate over to when you're not a vampire lord. It's helpful though when you have to face a really strong guy by yourself and your summoned or raised creatures can't stand up to him. It's utter mayhem and I'm the orchestrator of it all. FUN!

EDIT: I'm playing this guy on master level difficulty and having no problem whatsoever. He's a dark-elf beast.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Yeah. I am liking it. I am seeing a lot of Skyrim similarities because of the Bethesda correlation but, otherwise it is very engaging.

Bethesda is only the publisher, but I'm sure Arkane (I think that's the developers name) was influenced by the TES series.

I'm loving Dishonored. I wish the stealth of Skyrim was this good.

Bethesda is only the publisher, but I'm sure Arkane (I think that's the developers name) was influenced by the TES series.

I dig the chaos engine. But would rather have the hidden eye from Skyrim than the open level of theft this game uses.

Both Arkane and bethesda are owned by ZeniMax. Therefore, I'd expect all their "code secrets" are an open book to any, or all, of their programming teams.

Is anyone else experiencing crashes to desktop after playing Dawnguard for a while on PC? Its not any fun playing when the game crashes every 10 minutes or so...

Haven't played Skyrim in months. I put it down shortly after starting the Dawnguard questline. Will prolly pick it back up after the Dragonborne DLC releases for XBox.

Grew out of my Skyrim phase. Never thought that was possible. Playing Sleeping Dogs on PC now. The graphics are pretty nice. Gameplay is fun, but a little repetitive.

Haven't played Skyrim in months. I put it down shortly after starting the Dawnguard questline. Will prolly pick it back up after the Dragonborne DLC releases for XBox.

Dragonborne isn't DLC for Xbox, it's a full expansion I think for everybody. I installed it but haven't traveled to Morrowind yet. Got accosted in Rorikstead by some bug-shell wearing *****ebags that were subsequently dealt a swift death by beheading from my pale blade.

Dragonborne isn't DLC for Xbox, it's a full expansion I think for everybody. I installed it but haven't traveled to Morrowind yet. Got accosted in Rorikstead by some bug-shell wearing *****ebags that were subsequently dealt a swift death by beheading from my pale blade.

I never suggested it was solely for XBox. I only suggested that I may pick Skyrim back up after it releases for the XBox.

And, so far, I've decided not to "spend" the 1600 credits for it.

Back