Calculating alcohol after fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feffer

Reaction score
I made a batch of Welsh's wine following Yooper's recipe, and it turned out pretty well, but I didn't take on OG reading assuming it would be similar to Yooper's at 1.095. I just used the amount of sugar in the recipe following a conversion table which said 1.25 lbs = 3 cups. So I made one gallon with 3 cups and a second with 3.5 (just to experiment a bit). Now it's done and the alcohol taste seemed a bit strong (on both). So after the fact, I actually weighed my sugar cup and find that instead of 1.25 lbs, I used 1.37 lbs and 1.6 lbs. My final gravity was .992. Is there any way to get a reasonable estimate of the alcohol at this point?

OK, after posting, I found this Conversion formulaBasically, it's saying that
Potential Alcohol (% vol) = glucose + fructose (g/L) ÷ 16.83
So if I used 1.37 lbs of sugar where Yooper used 1.25 then I used 14.4 g/L more (if my math is right). Then using the formula, my alcohol should be about .85% higher than Yooper's recipe. For the batch I used 3.5 cups it would be about 2.46% higher. Does this sound reasonable?

Back