Adding a drain to stainless drip tray?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarr110

Reaction score
After about 3 months of not working on my bar, I finally picked out my counter surface material and have started working on it again.

I have this drip tray, and decided I want to add adrain line to it...
19" STAINLESS DRIP TRAY @ Williams Brewing

I was going to just buy a new one with the drain option, but for a similiar 18" long tray the price was about $100 compared to the $20 I paid.

Anyone succesfully added a drain to a drip tray that doesnt leak?

I have this drip tray, and decided I want to add adrain line to it...
19" STAINLESS DRIP TRAY @ Williams Brewing

There will be no built in pitch to make the beer run toward the drain; you may need to put the drain at one end and have one side very slightly elevated.

This is the way I'd go... Beer Drain Nipple & Nut (Fits 1/2")
P709-88.jpg

-OCD

That's actually kind of cool fitting! It looks like the edge of the fitting will sit slightly higher than the bottom of the drip tray, so you may still have "some" pooling at the bottom, not sure how much though. Unless you are spilling a lot of beer, you would probably need to flush it out with some water every now and then anyway, so you probably wouldn't need to worry about the pitch of the tray.

Drip trays, even with proper drains, tend to get nasty, clean them often. If you rinse hot water though them regularly it will help a lot. I think that you should look for one with a drain if you need a drain. You will have moldy beer in something that leaves beer behind.

Drip trays, even with proper drains, tend to get nasty, clean them often...

Agreed.

Neither of my drip trays have drains, nor would drains work well for me. There just isn't enough excess beer to cause a "flow" down a drain. My drip trays catch what they are supposed to catch...drips.

With no drain attached, it's much easier to simply remover the tray, walk over to the sink and flush under hot water for a minute or two and return.

Adding a drain is a good idea for a very high volume tap setup that is going to flush long lines, but I just flush into a plastic cup.

Just remember that by adding a drain, instead of having one item to clean, you now have three...the tray, the hose and the waste container.

Just remember that by adding a drain, instead of having one item to clean, you now have three...the tray, the hose and the waste container.

Ugh.. dude.. what do you mean "waste" container? You need to run the drain line back into the fridge to chill and drink that bad boy. :rockin:

Back