Seattle peeps, and non seattle peeps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachatola

Reaction score
So i just got a keg kit for Vday from my VERY loving fiancee.....LOL

So the question im having is what is the going rate for a 5lb C02 fill. I found one place that will fill mine and it was going to be about 20 bones. Is that a reasonable price?

Also can you guys lead me in the direction of some good recipes for my wedding coming up in July? Since im new to kegging, is there anything i should keep my eyes open for? Its in the summer so i was thinking maybe a hefe, maybe a blond, or an amber. Just trying to get an idea of what kind of beer someone might enjoy at the wedding..... obviously it will vary, but any info cant hurt.

Im going to have a lot of Qs but a few that come to mind are how long will beer keep in a keg? and how should i transport my kegs, and prep for service when i arrive at my destination? And i woudl assume you get about 48 cups from a keg, much like bottling? Thinking i may need to buy more kegs. LOL

I dont know where you are located in seattle, but i get my tanks filled at AAA fire and safety. For 5lbs tanks it is like 9 bucks and will fill on the spot. They are located on Nickerson st right next to the fremont bridge. Hope this helps

Todd

I'd recommend Larrys, I've been to many of the shops in Seattle, and while they are a bit out of the way, I think they are the biggest/cheapest, and most knowledgeable. Just search for Larry home brew supply on google, I don't know if I'm supposed to post links here or not.

Larry's is in Kent, haven't been there, but did call and asked a question once. Nice people. But I have two nice places closer to home in Oly.

I got my 5# CO2 filled at PraxAir in Tacoma. $8.30 plus a $3.80 Hazmat handling fee plus tax.... something like $13 out the door and only 15 min as they filled my new bottle.

Cheers and you lucky stiff!!! That one's a KEEPER!

Larry's has good prices but the place is dirty and I've never received customer service that would make me want to return. I only stop in because they are close to work. The Beer Essentials in Lakewood is a great place with the best customer service I've ever had and they have a good website for checking out prices.

A 5lb tank exchange is $15 at Larry's.

ive been to both larrys and beer essentials i have had great customer service at both, although i believe larrys is a hair cheaper, i stop there too due to it being close to work, although beer essentials isnt far from my house. I woudl prefer to keep my new tank, being that i just got it and the whole idea of giving away my brand new tank for a used beat up one is just a little disappointing. LOL

Any words on life of a beer left in a keg? Trying to get an idea of when i should brew to have it ready for my wedding in july.....

AAA fire and safety is the spot. Right by the fremont bridge, under ten bucks for a 5# tank, and they're quick and friendly. No bull**** with exchanging your tank either. They just fill it.

I don't know about places in the seattle area, but $20 for a 5# tank is a lot. I had my 20# tank filled at a local fire supply store for $22 out the door just a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know about places in the seattle area, but $20 for a 5# tank is a lot. I had my 20# tank filled at a local fire supply store for $22 out the door just a couple of weeks ago.

+1
In my experience, it costs about the same to fill a 5lb bottle as a 20lb bottle.

I was even able to get Praxair to give me a 20lb bottle filled in exchange for my empty 5lb bottle for 20 bucks!! (They only exchanged empties for fulls and were out of 5lb'ers)

Back