1 Gal IPA hops tests yield unexpected results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
Well kids, I have this need to really know hops well. I want to be able to really know what a particular hop does that another hop well, doesnt. My non scientific approach to this, was to make identical 1 gallon batches. Identical except for the hops. I started out with 3 batches, as my 2 other 1 gallon jugs sheered their bottoms off in the high temp rinse in my dishwasher (note to self for future). Each one was made with this recipe.
1.36 lbs of extra light DME
.32 lbs of 40L crystal, steeped in the boil water from burner start to 160F
5 hop additions
.32 oz @60
.20 oz @30, 15,5 and 0
I didnt try to mod the hops amounts via AA.
Its has been a week and all 3 are ready to bottle.
But, at this point, I have noticed one very large difference between the 3.
Fermentation Strength, for lack of me remembering the right term.
I used the following 3 hops. Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus.
The amarillo was of average fermentation. the Centennial was much more robust, and the Columbus blew the foam right out the airlock. And these are 3 identically made recipes, save the hops. I thought it was interesting that the one highest in AA was the most agressive fermentation. I dont know if anyone has noted these tendencies before, but if they have I have never read of it. So, I thought I would share. And, when I bottle these, Ill take a taste and let you know how they are going.
FYI
I bid you all a great day.

Ahoy hoy,
I did neglect to mention the yeast. I used 2.3 grams of safale US -05 dry in each one. Could be a wild hared yeastie doing it. Good observation. Thanks.
I bid you all a great day!

Interesting information, thanks for sharing.

What kind of hops did you use?
Did you put the hops in a bag or did you allow them to flow into the fermenters?

It's possible that the different strains offered different nutrients that the US-05 reacted differently to. However, the cynic in me says that their oxygen permeations were different (not saying that they weren't aerated equally, but that the oxygen imparted by aeration was different for any one of a number of reasons).

I have nothing scientific to back this up with, so disclaimer.

But.

I have noticed that hoppier beers have much bigger head. It's usually huge, pillowy, resiny, and takes forever to go away.

I would surmise that the same could apply to fermentation. If you use a hop that is more "resiny" than others ("resin" for lack of a better term, I'm sure it's a certain humulone or something causing this), then the krausen will go more apesh1t than a hop with less of those "resins" in it.

Thoughts? Anyone prove/disprove?

Like I said, this is based on observation + hypothesis only.

What AA were each? Were there differences in your shaking b/w the jugs?

Maybe higher AA in wort = more "preservation" = harder for yeast to work.

????

I have nothing scientific to back this up with, so disclaimer.

But.

I have noticed that hoppier beers have much bigger head. It's usually huge, pillowy, resiny, and takes forever to go away.

I would surmise that the same could apply to fermentation. If you use a hop that is more "resiny" than others ("resin" for lack of a better term, I'm sure it's a certain humulone or something causing this), then the krausen will go more apesh1t than a hop with less of those "resins" in it.

Thoughts? Anyone prove/disprove?

Like I said, this is based on observation + hypothesis only.

I wouldn't consider "Duvel" hoppy and I think you could float a quarter on that one

Ahoy hoy,
I brewed 3 separate batches. Other then the type of hops, I tried to do everything identically, including shaking the jugs for aeration. In fact, I just bottled them this morning. I got a 6 pack out of each one. They all had a good inch of yeast/trub at the bottom of each of the gallon jugs. Im thinking a thanksgiving tasting.
Interesting ay?
I bid you all a great day.
Oh, Im not sure the AA of these hops, I didnt write it down, and dont recall which brand ( i have amarillo from 3 different places ) of each i used. Real scientific ay? :D

Back