Can you ferment in a Botteling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Difference, I use mine all the time. You'll need a 2ndary though, so you don't have a ton of yeast in your beer unless thats OK with you. It might be OK in a hefe or a wit beer.

So I could use it as a secondary with even less trouble then right?

Tim

Yes - But glass/PET 2ndarys are better for longer storage. Not to mention the racking/transfer process is to keep the yeast to a minimum.

Makes For Clearer Beer!!

I mean, other than the spigot, there is not much difference right?

Tim

I've done it before, but now I just use a racking cane.

If you do it, two things to remember:

* as advised, sanitize the spigot well. Some folks dissasemble and sanitize in pieces then reassemble.

* remember to doublecheck that the spigot is closed BEFORE dumping the wort in. Don't ask me how I know this.

I use bottling bucket all the time, take gravity readings from spigot instead of opening lid

I use to do it all the time. I never fermented in anything else for years. It does make getting hydro readings "EASY LIKE SUNDAY MORNING". I now use carboys and just check hydro when I transfer.
Cheers
JJ

:mug:Another thing to consider is the size of your bottling bucket, for a primary you need some headspace for the krausen to go. As long as it is 6.5 gal. and not a 5 gal. you are good to go. I still use a blowoff tube.:mug:

Back