Co2 forced carbonation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgeguy

Reaction score
I have a basic recipe that I have tried and I am force carbonating it with Co2 the recipe is

1/2 lb crystal 40 l
1 lb of Crushed corn
steeped

then 6 lbs of light malt extract

1.5 onz kent golding for 60

.5 onz of kent for 15

1teaspoon of irish moss

was fermented with california ale yeast
moved to primary

racked into corny keg and held at 30 psi for 3 days

presure was then dropped down to 10 psi and tasted and it tastes like CO2 or a weird metallic taste its a very bad off taste the beer is undrinkable is there any help for this batch or is it a throwaway???

Please help:( :( :(

unhook it and bleed it for a few days. That may take some of the bite out of it. Next time, set it as serving pressure and and temp and forget it for a week.

CO2 itself is tasteless and odorless.
But rapid force carbing like that always creates excessive carbonic acid, which then has to mellow out. You'll smell the carbonic acid and it does lend a 'bite' to the beer for several days.

its a lot easier to set it at 10-12psi and let it sit for 10-14 days. even carbonation that actually gets absorbed.

Just forget about it for a while. My first IPA had a horrible off taste to it at 10 weeks. By 12 weeks the off-flavor was just a minor nuisance, but I was wondering if it would ever go away completely. By 14 weeks it was an absolutely delicious ale--there was a line of people at the kegerator until we kicked it (in about 30 minutes BTW).

In retrospect, I wonder if there was some bit of contamination in the keg before I started that took a while to die off. It was an old Hoff-Stevens keg, and it's hard to get all the nooks and crannies when you clean them (esp in the diptube).

Back