May have overdone the smoked ale. Need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-oh

Reaction score
So, in a quest to recreate one of the beers entered into the Sam Adams Longshot competition a year ago, I tried my hand at improvising a recipe for a smoked ale.

Steeped a pound of smoked grain, used 6 lb of DME, 1 lb of rice syrup solids, 5 oz bittering hops (hallertau) and 2 oz of Saaz at the end of the boil. I also added some liquid smoke at 30 minutes and at 5 mintues (1/8 of a cup each time). This is where I think I may have overdone it. After about 10 days in the primary, I transfered it today and caught the distinct and overpowering smell of vinegar/soy sauce (from the liquid smoke I'm assuming)

Is there any possible way I could salvage this so it wont taste like I'm drinking a pickled sausage. I was thinking about racking to another secondary in a week and dry hopping it to see if it has any effect on the aroma. (BTW, I didn't pull a sample to taste)

Any ideas?

And, I have already relaxed and had a few homebrews.

I would let it sit for awhile and see if the flavors mellow. The beer is probably pretty green at this point so it might be worth a shot. I suppose dry hopping could cover up some of the flavors if you think the smoke is too strong.
Keep us posted.

Even the worst smoked flavor will mellow in time. My first Old Bog Water was undrinkable for 12 months. Four years later, it just keeps getting better.

Back