Wild hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justclancy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was walking around a park today in Bologna, Italy and came across a rather plentiful source of wild hops. Strange, to find them in Italy I suppose, but they were there. I grabbed a bunch and threw them in a bag I had. At home, upon further inspection, I found that they are all full of seeds and seem to have some 'resin' but really not very much. What kinds of implications does this have for the quality of these hops? Have they been tainted by a male plant, and are therefore of inferior quality? And if so, what would happen if I used them, would they be fine(though possibly with a very low AA %)?
By the way, they have a very nice pleasant, grassy, green, almost noble aroma to them. I'm guessing something like Perle or another of the green aroma german hops.

Definitely not Perle. Don't look anything like the Perle cones I have, nor do they smell similar. They seem to be more along the lines of Hersbrucker.

Foto-0123.jpg

Back