Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyrok

Reaction score
My Brother in Law gave me a turkey fryer he won in a raffle a long time ago. It is 28 qts, so great for 5 gal boils, but it has a temperature controller and even a timer on it. that is not the big question, the question is.... the heating elements are in the bottom of the fryer and this is electric. Is this going to be a problem with the elements actually being IN the wort while boiling it? Will it burn the wort? thanks

Shouldn't. Scroll through the Electric Brewing section of the forum. There are lots of people brewing with water heater elements. But, (there's always a but) I have no experience with this.

The lore is that the high heat density elements will scorch some of the higher gravity worts on the element but I'd do what Whutever recommended and ask the folks in the electric brewing section... I have not experience with electric elements in my wort, only experience with my stove element being outside my pot (and that was a while back).

I too have no experience with this but i have seen those elements on sale at online homebrew stores.
I know Basic Brewing Radio had an "electric brewing" episode, since i don't have that equipment i haven't listened to it fully but it might be a good listen for you. It's the 4/29/10 episode of their podcast. http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2010 somewhere around 3/4th of the way down that page, or you can get it in itunes. linked article in BYO about it as well, (got this link from the basic brewing page as well listed under the podcast) http://***********/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/20-build-it-yourself/1987-countertop-brewing-system

hope any of that helps you out :D

Thank you all VERY much! It is so nice when something like this is given to you (well 20.00) but to find out it is the wrong one and having to pass it up to go buy a much more expensive one is NOT good news. thanks again, and I will go check the links and other forums. I didn't know about the electric brew forum.. Stoneyrok!

Latest posts

Back