JW Lees Manchester Star Porter Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8link

Reaction score
So I had the pleasure of tasting a Manchester Star a few nights ago and have since been looking for hints on how to gin up a recipe to get something close to it.

It's not listed at all on JW Lees website. I haven't tasted the sweet chocolate-vanilla-marshmallowness that this beer has mid palate in beers prior so am not sure where to start malt wise on a grain bill. Maybe there's some strange sugar additions? Hops are likely small additions of something earthy and weak, ekg or fuggles.
It seems to me to be more of a baltic porter in style but the malt does not support that.

Has anyone else had this? What were you're impressions on possible ingredients?

This is a beer I really enjoy as well and would love to clone. I've had the opportunity to taste it in bottle and in growler form. There is some information up on their website, but it's under SPECIALS since it is seasonal. The website states,

"6.5% abv. This limited edition ale is brewed to an original 1884 recipe, and usually goes straight to America to be enjoyed. For one month only, you can enjoy it too. This mahogany ale has fruity chocolate flavours and is brewed with Grist Goldings, Styrian and Hallertau hops and Chocolate malt."

My guess as of the grain bill would be some british pale malt some dark crystal (there's a distinct raisin, dark fruit flavor), chocolate, and black patent. This beer is more malt focused, but has enough bitterness to keep it super balanced.

I think the real star in this beer is the yeast, and high attenuation and dryness that keeps it SUPER drinkable. I would love to keep this thread going and develop a more definitive recipe to try out.

Back