How to heat a 14 gal conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterpounder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a new 14 gallon conical (woohoo!) and I am looking for ideas on how to heat it. I've tried using the fermwrap material cut to size and wrapped all the way around the fermenter covered in a layer of large-bubble wrap on sides and top with a digital temp controller. Sitting in a 40 degree F cooler the max I am getting the beast to heat up to is 58 deg. Any ideas?

Thanks

Wyeast- Cal lager yeast

But seriously, electric blanket hooked to a ranco controller would probably do the trick for you.

I received a 14 gallon conical from my wife on Christmas (yes, she is the best)

I put the conical in an upright freezer (13.7 cu ft). I purchased a Love TSS2 dual stage controller to run in 'neutral area mode' The temperature probe is taped to the conical part of the fermenator. Note that I am using the Love to independently heat and cool the freezer.

I heat the inside with a ceramic infra-red light bulb (100 watt) that is sold in pet stores for reptiles. I put the lamp in the bottom of the freezer pointing up at the conical on the opposite side of the temperature probe.

The freezer is located in my garage, which is below freezing right now, so the freezer part does not cycle much at all, but the lamp is keeping the interior at a nice 69 degrees for my ale yeast.

Back