07.07.07 Recipe discussion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
Nope...no offense, but it was wholly intended to be a group thing. I introduced it wrong--I should have made a poll with a style, then we could have gone from there with subsequent polls as far as ingredients. My bad--I did not intend for it to be so damn confusing...

So start over and begin again. I like experimenting, so Im brewing what was proposed. No big deal to me if it turns out less than expected. But dont let the idea die. We still have time to make it for 07.07.07. Hell its only 2.19, so theres time.

I followed everyones choice from last year, and my 666 brew didnt turn out right. BUT, the reason why was my fault. I allowed it to ferment out all of the honey, and the damn thing is hot from alcohol. It is still drinkable, just not how I wanted it to be. But, I saved the recipe, and will still mess around with it.

So...I propose that you start setting up the new 07.07.07 like you did last year, with simple instructions on the process and simple polls that are final, and non negotiable. Summer ale is the proposed beer, so go from there. Simply put, I would love to brew a group brew that the majority is going to brew as well.

So this is the bird/Brewsmith's version? I like the idea of this, if not to just keep the idea alive!

Brewsmith's 1.056, SRM 7.0
7.0 lb 2-row
0.5 lb wheat malt
0.75 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Honey malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.75 lb Munich
0.25 lb Biscuit

1 addition of Northern Brewer for 60 min (enough for about 28IBU)
No other hop additions

Wyeast 1272

brew...ferment...enjoy

I'm going to brew that recipe anyway, but I also like the idea of hitting the reset button and trying to do a REAL 07-07-07 brew as a community.

Dude, you want me to take a crack at leading 07-07-07 Mach II, or you want to just let it die?

the_bird said:
I'm going to brew that recipe anyway, but I also like the idea of hitting the reset button and trying to do a REAL 07-07-07 brew as a community.

Dude, you want me to take a crack at leading 07-07-07 Mach II, or you want to just let it die?

Just brew what you guys came up with! Obviously a lot of discussion went into it and you guys seem comfortable with what you came up with! I say leave well enough alone and brew it!!!! :rockin:

MA_Brewer said:
So this is the bird/Brewsmith's version? I like the idea of this, if not to just keep the idea alive!

7.0 lb 2-row
0.5 lb wheat malt
0.75 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Honey malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.75 lb Munich
0.25 lb Biscuit

1 addition of Northern Brewer for 60 min (enough for about 28IBU)
No other hop additions

Wyeast 1272

brew...ferment...enjoy

I think I like this recipe pretty well. I'm going to have to substitute an equivalent White Labs variety. Any suggestions?

What do other people think?

Give 07-07-07 another shot, start over fresh, or just brew what we came up with here and forget about making it a community-wide thing?

Do we need another poll? ;)

IF we were to start over, we've had to carefully consider a better way to break the discussion down into bite-sized pieces, and keep it better organized/structured. Of course, that may very well be impossible.

Torchiest said:
IF we were to start over, we've had to carefully consider a better way to break the discussion down into bite-sized pieces, and keep it better organized/structured. Of course, that may very well be impossible.

If you guys do it, I'd suggest like how BB does it.

A poll for styles. Pick one.

A new poll after that for grains. Pick a few.

A new poll for hops. Pick a few.

Then discuss additions or whatever else in a thread. Still seems like a cluster**** to me... :D

I think the best way to do it going forward is to have a blind contest where anyone that wants to can submit a recipe and an explanation of why it's a 777 or whatever.

Then, we can list them all and have a vote - you could even break them down into groups and do it tournament style if there are too many.

That way, you're not getting a recipe that's got too many cooks

I'm definitely in favor of doing an annual HBT brew. Maybe not the number thing but it could be one we brew each spring. Each recipe should be an original collaboration of our members. (Maybe paying members?)
I like the idea of a poll for the style and possibly one for the malt and hops as well.
Dude, I thought you did a good job with 06.06.06 and that is one "hellava" recipe. I think we can do it again. :mug:

I kinda like rdwj's suggestion, as well, but I think it's more interesting as a collaberation. Otherwise, it's just us all submitting our best recipes and making up a cockamanie story about why it's 777. Dude, I know the last one burned you out, so I can take the lead on this tonight (definately starting with a style poll).

Bird, I agree with you. I got burned out on it and just stopped posting becuase it was so chaotic, it seems like I'm not the only one who got frustruated. If we're going to try again we need to start with some styles/ concepts and then stick with that. I think the problem before was everyone was working in different directions. If you're brave enough to take the lead on this I'm behind you 100%

Hercules Rockefeller said:
Bird, I agree with you. I got burned out on it and just stopped posting becuase it was so chaotic, it seems like I'm not the only one who got frustruated. If we're going to try again we need to start with some styles/ concepts and then stick with that. I think the problem before was everyone was working in different directions. If you're brave enough to take the lead on this I'm behind you 100%

Right, that's why I gave up. I'd still do this, if we have some guidelines to follow.

groundhog.bmp

As the ground hog cautiously pokes his head out to see if we have a recipe yet. Nope, 6 more weeks of controversy and he's getting pissed.

desertBrew said:
As the ground hog cautiously pokes his head out to see if we have a recipe yet. Nope, 6 more weeks of controversy and he's getting pissed.
:D I like that!

Okay, why not make this easy. The big winners seemed to be:

7.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb wheat malt
0.5 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Honey malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb Munich
.25 lb Biscuit

texasgeorge's 1.055, SRM 7.0
8.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb wheat malt
1.0 lb Vienna
1.0 lb Honey Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Victory

The three hops on top (sounds like a Dr. Seuss story) in the poll were
1. Amarillo
2. Cascade
3. Simcoe

Let's pick one, pick a yeast, pick a hop schedule and call it done!

Cripes, give me a couple hours, man... :D

(anyone have any styles in particular they'd want to be a part of the poll, other than the obvious APA, IPA, porter/stout, etc?) Seems like this might be a good time to consider stretching a bit.

How about a brew with a 1.070 OG (17 pluto), a 1.007 FG, 70 IBUs coming from 7 hop additions, 7 SRMs of color, a 70 minute boil and White Labs WLP007 yeast fermented at 70 degrees?

You wanted sevens...

7.7.7 IPA

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA
Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.07059 Plato: 17.188
Anticipated SRM: 7.1
Anticipated IBU: 70.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
96.3 13.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
3.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.03500 20
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 27.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 24.1 40 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 11.1 20 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 3.8 10 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.2 5 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step @ 147 for 70 minutes
Grain Lbs: 13.50

Brewpastor said:
How about a brew with a 1.070 OG (17 pluto), a 1.007 FG, 70 IBUs coming from 7 hop additions, 7 SRMs of color, a 70 minute boil and White Labs WLP007 yeast fermented at 70 degrees?

You wanted sevens...

7.7.7 IPA

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA
Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.07059 Plato: 17.188
Anticipated SRM: 7.1
Anticipated IBU: 70.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
96.3 13.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
3.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.03500 20
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 27.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 24.1 40 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 11.1 20 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 3.8 10 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.2 5 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step @ 147 for 70 minutes
Grain Lbs: 13.50

That sounds like a winner to me!!

Plus, having a pastor post it makes it a little more god-like, adding another dimension to 777

Wow. I just read this whole thread from start to finish. 32 pages of crazyness. You can see I didn't have much to do today...

I think everyone should use 7 malts to hit 7 SRM with a SG of 1.077, 7 hops with 7 hop additions to get 70 IBUs, 7 gallons of water, pitch 7 types of yeast from 7 starters, ferment at 70 degress, rack it 7 times and get a FG of 1.017, AND wait until 7/7/07 to drink it.
:drunk:

Just think about it... mmmm beer..

Latest posts

Back