Flow Meters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a thread or some general info regarding using a flow meter in a brewing setup? (I'm tired of missing my batch sparge total...I swear my pump puts out varying amounts of water.)

Thanks.
Actually I'd like to keep up with the volume having passed the meter. Perhaps that is a time and rate calculation? Do folks have these built into their electric brew rigs?

That meter also has an operating temp of 80 degC. Which is right at the edge of sparge temps. Just something to keep in mind.

Not sure if it is what you are looking for...but I've toyed with the idea of adding a Dwyer Vsi-Flow VFB-85-EC-SS to my setup. http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=43

It says it has a range of .2-2 GPM water...so I could technically dial in my recirc and sparge rates to the letter if I put it on the output of my pump.

Then again $75+fittings is a bit expensive to try something out in my book.
(Actually when I think about it...its not really that expensive in the grand scheme of what I've spent on this hobby)

With the volumes and flows you are going to use, there are no flow meters that are going to be accurate enough to do what you want without both a high cost and the associated control equipment. Then you will get the food safe issue.

much better off getting a level switch of some sort. many more options and more precise for what you want to do. They will also be more likely to be food safe and temp rated with both mechanical operation and electric available.

He would also need an Arduino SBC and code to read it out.

Surely the guys over at brewtroller will be able to figure something out (plus I think I saw some example code on seeedstudio's website for it to make their job a bit easier, not that I think they would need it ;))
But yes, you would still need to buy a brewtroller then.
When it comes to a question like this I tend to imediatly think "automation" even if it is not the case, my bad :). If it is a physical means to measure volumes I would just stick with the tried and true sight gauge.

Surely the guys over at brewtroller will be able to figure something out (plus I think I saw some example code on seeedstudio's website for it to make their job a bit easier, not that I think they would need it ;))
But yes, you would still need to buy a brewtroller then.
When it comes to a question like this I tend to imediatly think "automation" even if it is not the case, my bad :). If it is a physical means to measure volumes I would just stick with the tried and true sight gauge.

Actually the Brewtroller can do this with simple pressure transducers and a bubbler system. They can also automate your batch sparge. The accuracy that they can achieve is quite impressive.

Back