Did I screw up my batch? (Hop Utilization)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edkittley

Reaction score
This is my second batch, first one was the Amber Ale Kit from Brewer's Best. Turned out alright, but a little watery so I bought a 30qt brewpot so I could do a full boil in the future. For my second batch, I got the Fat Tire Clone(extract) from Austin Homebrewing. I didn't want to deal with any loss of product due to all the mess from the pellets, so I found a couple of Infusers that I used to put the Hops in. Basically just like the Hop Balls from Austin, but the local place had them in 2.5" diameter. All went well with the brew, but when I cleaned up and went to clean out the hop balls, I noticed the pellets had basically formed a playdo type mass inside the balls and were caked in pretty good. They still had a very strong aroma to them.

Did I get the hop utilization or did them swelling inside the hop balls hinder any of the flavor or aroma?

And if I screwed up, can I dry hop in the secondary to fix it to an extent?

I did the same thing with my IPA.... One big lump of hop glue in the bag......

25769_10150125689810553_790740552_11325427_7631889_n.jpg

Was thinking about asking about dry hop to fix as well. Good question!

I don't use hops bags or balls, but you can do that. One key for good utilization is to make sure the hops are "loose" in there. If you packed the ball tightly, you probably got very poor utlization. If they were loose in there, and fully in contact with the boiling wort, then you'll be fine.

They were loose when I put them in, only filled the ball up halfway. It was when I pulled them out that I noticed there might be a problem.

I don't have the first hand experience to know (because I haven't used a bag/infuser) but I don't think you get the max usage out of your hops. Just go to the hardware store and buy a PAINT STRAINER, made to fit a 5 gallon bucket. Put it over your fermentor and pour your wort into your bucket. With clean hands (or even gloves) squeeze out all the juice from the hops.

Personally I think there is absolutely no reason to use a hop bag (or similar) for boiling.

Taste it at 2 weeks. If you want more hop aroma, chuck in an ounce or so of Fuggles. Betcha its gonna be tasty if you just leave it alone.

Latest posts

Back