gelatin and srm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve25

Reaction score
can gelatin change your srm ? i sed it in my hoegaarden white ale and my srm is close to 15, i think it is supposed to be around 5 or 6.

If I understand correctly, you used gelatin finings in a Witbier, and you believe it changed the color of the beer.

Well, Witbier is supposed to be a cloudy beer with some yeast in suspension. By using finings, you caused the yeast to settle out, leaving behind a clear beer that is not true to style. Gelatin itself does not have an effect on color other than clarifying the beer. This might create the illusion of darkening by a shade or two, but it certainly wouldn't turn a yellow beer amber.

Can you give us some detail on the recipe and your brewing process (especially whether this is extract or all-grain, and what your boil volume was)?

Not the end of the world. In my reading I find that it is somewhat common for German breweries to re-yeast in an attempt to combat clearing.

Latest posts

Back