Question about Isinglass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
I racked my wild grape wine off the lees last week and added a pack of isinglass. I have never used it before but the guy at my LHBS told me it works well so I got it. Now there is gelatin floating around the neck of my carboy. Will this stuff sink so that I can rack it off or what? I added another pack of it to my peach wine last night. It had some small particulates of peach floating around in there. I'm hoping this stuff with settle out in the next couple of weeks.

Also, can i bottle right off the isinglass sediment, or should I rack it once more and wait a couple of weeks and then bottle?

Sounds like he didn't tell you to stir the crap out of the wine after adding - about 2 to 5 minutes worth. This will both distribute the isinglass and help remove C02 from suspension.

Oh, I did. I stirred it for about 5 minutes until it was quite bubbly. There is just a few chunks of gelatin at the top and I was just unsure about how this stuff works. So if you're assuming it was co2 keeping it afloat, and I know I stirred the F out of it, then I will expect it to settle out.. Thanks!

Did you use powder or liquid? I've only used the liquid and have never seen it after adding. Then again, I've only made reds and whites and not peach wine. If it's still there in a day or two, might be worth giving another quick stir - only drawback I can think of is that you'd have to restart the clock for letting things settle out.

Back