Help.. Need to control ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
With the cold weather we had been having my beer was brewing at 66-68 degrees through the whole time.

I noticed when I cam ehome from work it was almost 80 degrees outside. The thermostat said it was 77 degrees in the house.

My fermometer on the carboy read 74 degrees!!!

Its been 2 weeks fermenting and is starting to slow and that raising ferm temps toward the end of the process can actually been benficial to getting the Fg down a few more points.

My questions is that at what temp is too hot ( want to avoid fussel alcohols ) and how can I control it without killing my utility bill running the AC at 68. ( Wife would kill me )

I have put 2 gal water jugs that had frozen water in it beside the carboy and no change in temperature.

How can I control my temps at the moment and in the future.

In the future i was thinking about getting a rubbermaid container to hold the carboy and keep alternating frozen 2L water bottles.

But my question how to do it now. Itll be in the high 70s low 80s all week here in the part of GA i live in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: the AC is kept at 76-78 in the summer time and we keep heat at 66-68 in winter time.... i dont want to be only to brew beer in the winter : (

You could put your fermenter in a small pool or tub that you fashion for it, fill it with cold water, maybe ice bottles in there too. Then put a shirt over your carboy or bucket to act as a wick while you blow a fan across it. The evaporation will help cool it, it's like artificial sweat that doesn't smell bad.
Depending on your yeast 74 may not be out of the typical safe range. I think you will begin to get some esters there, no matter what yeast it is but with the bulk of your fermentation occurring in the high 60's on this one I think you will be fine. If you can't get those temps under control consider loving Saison, I hear it must be fermented at temps into the high 70's/low 80's in order for it to work properly. Good luck.

You could put your fermenter in a small pool or tub that you fashion for it, fill it with cold water, maybe ice bottles in there too. .

Swamp cooler
On the far left is the lid with a hole for the very top of the carboy.
I can easily knock 15 degrees off ambient temperature changing bottles out twice a day.

Swamp_cooler_1.jpg

Works like a charm
In addition the added heat sink (water) prevents any drastic changes in temperature.

I use a "cube" cooler, with a home made foam lid. Frozen water filled 2 liter soda bottles fit in, too. I add one or two, depending on the needed temp, and swap with more in the freezer as needed.

I used the water bath with ice too. I am switching over to using my 10G mash/tun instead now as you hardly need any water in it and the insulation helps a lot.

P1040820.JPG

The thermometer reads 49*

Back