My All Electric PID UDS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emribecky

Reaction score
This shouldn't look too different from a lot of the electric PID based brew rigs on this site, let alone my own.

The guts:

Steel 55Gal Drum
120V 15A input to work on nearly any household outlet.
Dual PID feeding control to a 25Amp SSR. (second PID used as alarm-limiting relay)
Dual PT100 RTD Temperature probes
Output to a single 1000W Electric coil burner with heat-fuse and thermostat bypass
6 qt cast iron pot for heat retention and woodchip holder
Two layers of Reflectix insulation: Single 25ftx24" roll.
Two 22" grill grates with stainless steel mounting hardware
Custom caster platform for easy maneuvering from storage to cooking location

The Specs:

I got the rig up to about 190 Degrees F before I put on the Reflectix Insulation, after that: hits 225 F in less than 12 mins (my favorite pork shoulder temp, have gotten over 250 when testing). Hold temperatures, with +/- 0.5 degree accuracy, indefinitely.

Have smoked 5-6 full shoulders, 4-6 racks of ribs, more sausage than you can stuff a snout with, peppers, corn, and other tasty items, all with simply perfect results.

I have a Bill of Materials if you are interested. All told, it costs about $238.15... give-r-take what you have lying around the house.

The Pics:

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

Back